View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 05:19 PM
Macybaby

DH and I went on a mini-vacation over the weekend. Visited some friends and spent a few hours (and $$$) at Missouri Star Quilt Company. Took today off work to rest up - and sewed up a few more 4" blocks.

I'm using the same paper I use for the big blocks - just copied at 33%

When I figure the fabric sizes, I measure using the seam line between the piece and the one before, and then figure a rectangle, making sure to add the 1/4" seam allowance - always going up to the next 1/4" total measurement. With these little pieces, I find it's easier to have a bit extra so I can be a bit sloppier with lining them up.

I line up 1 and 2 pieces, holding the paper up to my sewing light so I can see where things are, then put them down and sew.

I trim each seam with scissors as I sew, I don't use the ruler or rotary cutter on these small ones, and go for a 3/16" or so seam allowance.

This shows lining up piece 3 over pieces 1&2,

And then cut and press - and go on to the next one.

When done, I cut the side seams at 1/4". I removed all the paper at this point when I did the first one, so this time I pulled the paper from one section but left it on the opposing side, though I ended up removing all the paper because it was moving around on me. I try to be careful removing the paper so I don't stretch the fabric - not at all like how I do it on the big stars after they are all sewn.

after I sewed the diagonal seam, I checked for square and trimmed if needed.

Here are the two completed stars.