View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 06:40 AM
Macybaby

hehe - I'm not really very organized, so I have to be careful when working on something or I'll loose it in the mess! I am so looking forward to getting the building done and moving most of the sewing machines out and then getting the sewing room less cramped and more organized. I keep buying more, and then have less and less room in the house. With this last trip, came home with three cabinets and 6 more machines . . .

I'm working on a full size block right now, and then I"m going to try for a 3" one. A few things I learned, use fabric that is more one color. A few of the batiks I used had several colors in them (like yellow/purple, or red/orange) and the pieces are so small that it looks like different fabrics, and messed up the pattern. I also need to use fabrics that are not as close in color. With such small pieces, a rose and a red and a dark pink all look the same. With the larger pictures it looks like shading, with the tiny ones, it all looks the same.

I try not to cut any pieces under about 1" square, even if the visible area is much smaller. They are just too hard for me to hold in place and line up with smaller. It does mean that the scrap ratio is much higher. I think if I were to do 9- 4" blocks instead of one 12" block, it would take twice the amount of fabric.