View Single Post
Old 04-16-2015, 06:54 AM
SueSew

Originally Posted by donnajean View Post
Funny! The 1st thing that came to mind was using the Outhouse.
OMG! we had an outhouse at the summer cottage when we first moved in and I was so scared to go out in the woods at night to it! All spidery! I was only 4 or 5 probably and my dad would walk me out there with a flashlight. I don't think that is one I want to share!

It's a great question. Some of my most precious memories from my early childhood are learning piano in the basement on the old clunker with my grandmother, or cozy and warm reading in her sitting room on a rainy afternoon, or listening to her stories about her life as a young girl in England.

My kids don't have grandparents because we married late and our parents were not young when they gave birth to us, so they never really knew what it was like to have that special kind of loving connection to the previous generations. I have to reinforce it by sharing the stories, and reminding them 'this sofa your great-grandma bought when she came to the US', or 'this knitting bag with the needles is what she made socks with for the British soldiers in the Great War', or 'this letter came from her cousin and it is blacked out because of the censor' and so on.