View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Angel Bear

Oh my, I feel your pain! I had a right shoulder replacement (dominant hand) in January and it has been slow going. Before the surgery, I was quilting very little because of the pain. I couldn't cut with a rotary cutter at all...my hubby would cut what I needed to go with the pre-cuts I was using, but it just became so frustrating I stopped. After the surgery, I really did NOTHING for two months and then slowly started doing my PT and exercises. The doctor keeps reminding me that it will take a year to fully recover.

I just started quilting again about two weeks ago and I've finished a king size quilt that was done except for the outer borders and I've finished two other quilt tops! I still need to have help moving the quilts once they get fairly large, but I'm just so thrilled to be able to cut and sew. I have no problem cutting, (yay) but using the iron tires my shoulder out the pretty fast, but I know when to quit for the day. I haven't attempted to put anything in the quilting frame for quilting yet, but I think I'm going to do the quilting on a couple of charity quilts that I have in my "to do" pile first...maybe next week. The king size top will be the last one I quilt. I know I'm not ready yet to even get that one on the frame!

I do know how frustrating the waiting is. There are days I would just sit in my "happy place" and plan what I'd do when I could get started. I started dreaming of quilting and it was all I could think about. Two weeks ago I could do very little and I wanted to do so much, but each day I'm able to do a little bit more. The most important thing is to not push yourself to the point where you cause an injury and a setback. Do your PT and don't do more than they allow you to do. Hang in there! You'll be busy again in no time!