Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One armed quilters? >

One armed quilters?

One armed quilters?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I had a bad torn rotator cuff repaired 2 years ago, and doing the physical therapy is key to getting your mobility back. Right now you are in the recovery phase where you need to be careful what you do so that you do not re-injure the shoulder. I understand your frustration, believe me. I was able to do some things on the computer with my arm resting in the sling, of course it was my right shoulder, my dominant hand. Just do the PT, but don't rush the recovery because it could set you back. Just listen to your Dr. and your therapist, do what they instruct you to do, be patient, and you should find yourself feeling and doing a lot better in a few weeks. I spent some of my recovery time, reorganizing my sewing space, planning projects, assembling the fabric, etc., etc., so that when I was able to sew I could get busy on my projects.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:36 AM

I have a quilting friend that was born without a left hand. She has a partial arm, midway to the elbow. She used her left stump to hold fabric down for rotary cutting and to assist the right hand in sewing.

Being born that way she has learned to adapt which is totally different to from one who suddenly losses the use of a limb. Be patient and work at what you "can do today".
Old 04-29-2015, 01:33 PM

I had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago and my advice would be to take it easy for the time they want you to. Work hard at doing all of the physical therapy and in time it will get better. I was not able to sew for about 6 months and during that time I read, read, read. It took me a good year to be able to have arm movement that allowed me to put dishes in the cupboard. But it will turn out fine in the end.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:24 PM

Oh my, I feel your pain! I had a right shoulder replacement (dominant hand) in January and it has been slow going. Before the surgery, I was quilting very little because of the pain. I couldn't cut with a rotary cutter at all...my hubby would cut what I needed to go with the pre-cuts I was using, but it just became so frustrating I stopped. After the surgery, I really did NOTHING for two months and then slowly started doing my PT and exercises. The doctor keeps reminding me that it will take a year to fully recover.

I just started quilting again about two weeks ago and I've finished a king size quilt that was done except for the outer borders and I've finished two other quilt tops! I still need to have help moving the quilts once they get fairly large, but I'm just so thrilled to be able to cut and sew. I have no problem cutting, (yay) but using the iron tires my shoulder out the pretty fast, but I know when to quit for the day. I haven't attempted to put anything in the quilting frame for quilting yet, but I think I'm going to do the quilting on a couple of charity quilts that I have in my "to do" pile first...maybe next week. The king size top will be the last one I quilt. I know I'm not ready yet to even get that one on the frame!

I do know how frustrating the waiting is. There are days I would just sit in my "happy place" and plan what I'd do when I could get started. I started dreaming of quilting and it was all I could think about. Two weeks ago I could do very little and I wanted to do so much, but each day I'm able to do a little bit more. The most important thing is to not push yourself to the point where you cause an injury and a setback. Do your PT and don't do more than they allow you to do. Hang in there! You'll be busy again in no time!