View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 05:33 AM
piepatch

Default My Singer 401 Experience

A few months ago, I took my Singer 401 into what was once considered to be a reputable sewing machine service shop. It was running fine, but I took it to be cleaned and serviced, and stitch regulated. I have had it well over 50 years, and have always given it good care and kept it cleaned, oiled and lubed, but every few years, I will take it in for a good "going over". After I picked it up, it was put aside and due to health issues, was not used for four to five months.

When I finally plugged it in, it would barely run. It would only run on slow speed. I took it back in and after a few days, the service man called and said my motor was dying, and they didn't make this particular motor anymore, and it couldn't be repaired. I remembered once talking to a gentleman who repaired and restored old machines and called him. I asked if he had a motor for the 401, and he laughed and said yes he had several, but I wouldn't need one. He told me to disengage the bobbin winder and give it the gas for several minutes, and that is what I did. It took several minutes, but my machine is now running like a top!

I am sure most of you knew this, and in fact, my intention was to come here for help, knowing some here restore old machines and have parts, but wound up getting help from another source. I wanted to post this experience in case there is anybody out there with an old machine who doesn't know that you need to run them once in a while even though you are not sewing on a regular basis. I had not been using mine much for the last year or so, and then not at all for several months. I am so attached to this machine, I felt like an old friend had died, and was so happy to have it up and going again!

Last edited by piepatch; 04-30-2015 at 05:36 AM.