My Singer 401 Experience

Old 04-30-2015, 05:33 AM

Default My Singer 401 Experience

A few months ago, I took my Singer 401 into what was once considered to be a reputable sewing machine service shop. It was running fine, but I took it to be cleaned and serviced, and stitch regulated. I have had it well over 50 years, and have always given it good care and kept it cleaned, oiled and lubed, but every few years, I will take it in for a good "going over". After I picked it up, it was put aside and due to health issues, was not used for four to five months.

When I finally plugged it in, it would barely run. It would only run on slow speed. I took it back in and after a few days, the service man called and said my motor was dying, and they didn't make this particular motor anymore, and it couldn't be repaired. I remembered once talking to a gentleman who repaired and restored old machines and called him. I asked if he had a motor for the 401, and he laughed and said yes he had several, but I wouldn't need one. He told me to disengage the bobbin winder and give it the gas for several minutes, and that is what I did. It took several minutes, but my machine is now running like a top!

I am sure most of you knew this, and in fact, my intention was to come here for help, knowing some here restore old machines and have parts, but wound up getting help from another source. I wanted to post this experience in case there is anybody out there with an old machine who doesn't know that you need to run them once in a while even though you are not sewing on a regular basis. I had not been using mine much for the last year or so, and then not at all for several months. I am so attached to this machine, I felt like an old friend had died, and was so happy to have it up and going again!

Last edited by piepatch; 04-30-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:42 AM

piepatch,

What you just said is soooo very true. Many of us that have multiple machines do need to use them at least a bit every now and again to keep them going.

Machines like the 401s, 500s, and more complex models require this even more I think.

Glad your machine is up and running.

Joe
Old 04-30-2015, 06:34 AM

Good to know!!

I WANT a lot more machines than I can properly care for. So I've given myself a rule - I must USE each machine at least once a year, or it needs to go to a new home. And I don't mean just plug it in and make it go, I mean actually sew something with it. A pillowcase or tote bag if nothing else. If I can't bring myself to do that much work with it, obviously I don't need it and shouldn't be its caretaker. I've started logging last-used dates on the chart I keep on my PC with all my machines' basic info. I like it, it encourages me to bring different machines with me to classes and on vacations. (Plus this way I can pretend I'm not just hoarding them when my inner voice starts mocking me. "See, inner voice? They all get used. I NEED all of them!")

Non-working rustbucket project machines are excepted from the "use" rule though. Until I get them fixed!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:04 AM

I know how you feel, I have a 500 that was my first machine and it has really worked hard for me. The last 2 yrs it has given me problems. I've had it looked at my so many shows, but no one can figure out why the thread catches on something and knots up...I keep working with it, as I don't want to give it up..shes a good old friend....
Old 04-30-2015, 07:05 AM

I know how you feel, I have a 500 that was my first machine and it has really worked hard for me. The last 2 yrs it has given me problems. I've had it looked at my so many shops, but no one can figure out why the thread catches on something and knots up...I keep working with it, as I don't want to give it up..shes a good old friend....
Old 04-30-2015, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by bdschafer View Post
I know how you feel, I have a 500 that was my first machine and it has really worked hard for me. The last 2 yrs it has given me problems. I've had it looked at my so many shops, but no one can figure out why the thread catches on something and knots up...I keep working with it, as I don't want to give it up..shes a good old friend....
I just saw a thread here regarding that issue and a different thread path that seems to help.

I see a lot of complaints about repair shops. Enough where unless I know someone here recommends them I would hesitate to take a machine in for work. Fortunately if your machine is healthy routine and oiling it yourself isn't a big deal and all it's likely to need. Vintage machines were built to be serviced by their owners.
It's a good point about running your machines occasionally. No machine of any type likes to sit unused for too long.
I'm working on a rotation system. I'm space challenged, my solution will be a "universal" table I can drop various machines into to run occasionally. I prefer a table mounted machine to a portable for sewing but portables are easier to store. I'm hoping this will give me the best of both worlds.
Rodney
Old 04-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

I have only had my 401 for a year. It was well cared for by the previous owner who was an interior designer. Mine is in a desk cabinet. It came with the manual and attachments and bobbins. I went to YouTube and looked at a lot of videos repeatedly so I could maintain it myself. Love that my machine purrs like a sleepy cat. DH loves to use it. He has mended his denim jackets and jeans on it. He learned to sew on his mother's lap. He helps with the maintenance. I like that the desk cabinet is big enough if I want to put the machine down, I can use my portable. I usually put a board across the top to not put weight directly on the 401.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I just saw a thread here regarding that issue and a different thread path that seems to help.

I see a lot of complaints about repair shops. Enough where unless I know someone here recommends them I would hesitate to take a machine in for work. Fortunately if your machine is healthy routine and oiling it yourself isn't a big deal and all it's likely to need. Vintage machines were built to be serviced by their owners.
It's a good point about running your machines occasionally. No machine of any type likes to sit unused for too long.
I'm working on a rotation system. I'm space challenged, my solution will be a "universal" table I can drop various machines into to run occasionally. I prefer a table mounted machine to a portable for sewing but portables are easier to store. I'm hoping this will give me the best of both worlds.
Rodney
Rodney,

I have a sewing cabinet that fits that criteria to a T. But alas .... no room for it. So for now it sits in the garage.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]518376[/ATTACH]

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_5825.jpg  
Old 05-01-2015, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by bdschafer View Post
I know how you feel, I have a 500 that was my first machine and it has really worked hard for me. The last 2 yrs it has given me problems. I've had it looked at my so many shows, but no one can figure out why the thread catches on something and knots up...I keep working with it, as I don't want to give it up..shes a good old friend....
I once had a problem with my 401 bunching up and took it in and was told I had a burr on my hook. The service man asked if I wanted to replace the part or file the burr and see if that worked. I told him to file the burr, and that did the job. I can't think of the name of the part that had to be filed, but it is the part that comes around and hooks onto the thread under the bobbin. I am sure someone on this thread will know what part I am talking about.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:06 AM

that's interesting, something is catching the thread, but doesn't do it all the time..I hope someone will tell me what it's call and maybe show me...Thanks wonderful people.......