Old 05-02-2015, 07:07 PM
romille

Default topeka rose appliqué method advice? should I do raw or turned edge??

Fusing raw edged pieces seems the easiest and fastest approach, but I lack the experience to know how it will wear over time. I don't like the idea of frayed edges. Does anyone have example photos of raw edged appliqué after washing? I googled, but couldn't find much that didn't have intentional fraying.

I am pretty new to appliqué. While I have done a little fused raw edge stuff with blanket or straight stitches, I haven't actually finished those projects yet... so I don't really know what to expect with it after washing. (those projects include a quilt top I still need to quilt, and an ongoing BOM)

I am getting geared up to do the sashing on another BOM right now, which includes 16 topeka rose blocks. The LQS gave me the fabric for appliqué yesterday, so now I am faced with having to make the decision of what method I want to use.

I need to decide between machine and hand stitching, but first I must decide between raw and turned edge. If I go with raw edge then I don't even have to worry about the different methods if turned edge appliqué, and it rules out hand stitching as well.

Thanks for your advice!!