Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
topeka rose appliqué method advice? should I do raw or turned edge?? >

topeka rose appliqué method advice? should I do raw or turned edge??

topeka rose appliqué method advice? should I do raw or turned edge??

Old 05-02-2015, 07:07 PM

Default topeka rose appliqué method advice? should I do raw or turned edge??

Fusing raw edged pieces seems the easiest and fastest approach, but I lack the experience to know how it will wear over time. I don't like the idea of frayed edges. Does anyone have example photos of raw edged appliqué after washing? I googled, but couldn't find much that didn't have intentional fraying.

I am pretty new to appliqué. While I have done a little fused raw edge stuff with blanket or straight stitches, I haven't actually finished those projects yet... so I don't really know what to expect with it after washing. (those projects include a quilt top I still need to quilt, and an ongoing BOM)

I am getting geared up to do the sashing on another BOM right now, which includes 16 topeka rose blocks. The LQS gave me the fabric for appliqué yesterday, so now I am faced with having to make the decision of what method I want to use.

I need to decide between machine and hand stitching, but first I must decide between raw and turned edge. If I go with raw edge then I don't even have to worry about the different methods if turned edge appliqué, and it rules out hand stitching as well.

Thanks for your advice!!
Old 05-02-2015, 11:33 PM

Hiya

I am doing a massive appliqué project at the moment and I am doing fusible raw edge. I did some research and everything I read showed that it should hold up fine no matter what kind of stitching you do around the edge. (Though I think satin, zigzag and blanket would hold up the best)

I am doing free motion straight stitch around my shapes but I'm going around each shape 3 times. So even if you weave around a bit it still looks like you did it on purpose!

Here are some pics
(Straight lines are basting stitches. Background will be free motion stipple. I'm not quite up to the circular swirls in the pattern!)

Old 05-03-2015, 03:17 AM

Esmerelde, that's so cute! it will eventually get a little bit fuzzy on the edge but I think it will enhance the cuteness!
Old 05-03-2015, 05:26 PM

I use satin stitch because I want the quilts to stand up to washer and drier, even baby quilts.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

I use a wide satin stitch or a zig zag that's tight. never had problems, but only washed about 5 times so far.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:19 PM

7 Years ago I made my DGS an animal quilt using raw edge appliqué. I used a blanket stitch on most of it and a straight stitch on the parrot feet, etc. I has held up thru numerous washings. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

It probably depends mostly on the quality of fusible you use. I do freezer paper technique when I know that something will be washed often.