View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 08:11 AM
OurWorkbench

Default Sewing Machine Work Stand

I was asked by a kind reader for additional pictures of the work stand that was used in the recent White Rotary 41 post. It took a little time, but here are a few.

Some time ago, I wondered if there couldn't be an easier way to hold and work on sewing machine heads. I poked around on the internet and didn't find anything for that purpose. I asked a few people who are interested in sewing machines and no one knew of such a device.

So I built what I was imagining. The stand balances the sewing machine head and allows easy rotation to any position desired. It is then locked in place. One finger can rotate the machine.

(Stand - Upright)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]518983[/ATTACH]

Since I'm still working with the White Rotary, I've used it as the example machine in these pictures. But it works with any classic mount machine that uses a stepped cutout. A few baseboards with different sized cutouts adapt the stand for various machines as needed.

The upside down position works well for oiling the underside parts. Having the bottom tilted forward and up makes for easy inspection and cleaning. With all moving parts in the clear, the machine can be run in any position.

(Stand - Tilted Positions)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]518984[/ATTACH]

The same balance that helps to provide easy horizontal rotation, also works in the vertical direction. The machine may be stood on end, if desired.

(Stand - On End)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]518985[/ATTACH]

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails stand2upright.jpg   stand2tilted.jpg   stand2endup.jpg