View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 11:42 AM
OurWorkbench

I am a little overwhelmed and very flattered by all of the kind responses to the work stand. I'll answer your questions here, as best I can, until I can provide some additional pictures.

The white frame is made from angle iron, welded together, with the two posts of perforated tubing at the ends. The bottom of it forms a tray of sorts, that can hold a baseboard suitable for the machine being worked on.

I've been practicing making the classic stepped cutouts in wood and have gotten fairly good at it. A surprisingly small collection of baseboards can accommodate most machines.

There are four metal retaining clips that hold the machine down at its edges. Steel is used for strength, as considerable weight and stresses are present. The clips have thin rubber pads where they contact the machine. Finally, a small piece of cardboard file-folder material is placed by hand under the rubber of each clip. This protects the machine finish from any gasses or chemicals coming out of the rubber.

Bolts go through the clips, then through the baseboard and finally through the metal frame itself, with wing nuts on the bottom. With everything tightened down, it is very secure and gentle on the machine.

The circle at the bottom is simply a platform. It is used when standing the machine on its end. I made it a ring and painted it white, simply for looks. One of the pivot shafts, that the machine rotates on in the horizontal position, is turned vertical and inserted into a hole in the frame at the center of the white circle.

The holes in the white upright arms are for changing the pivot point. I found it isn't necessary very often. Most machines have a vertical center of gravity pretty close to 3 inches above the bed. A very tall and top-heavy machine might need the pivots moved up. A very short machine might need them moved down.

For the outer part of the stand, I used wood 2x4 material, cut to various shapes and sizes for the feet, upright elements and a crossbar holding it together.

I haven't yet considered marketing this, but I'd be open to any of your thoughts along those lines. I'd probably need some help and advice with such a small and specialized market.

In the meantime, I would gladly help anyone in building one for them self. I'll try to answer any and all questions. By the way, I'm not on all the time, but usually I am once a day.

I'll add some pictures of what I've described above.