Old 05-09-2015, 08:23 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Linda, Joe, and Sabine, thank you.

Joe, I have no secrets. I disassemble as much as reasonably possible, clean, adjust and detail everything, and put it back together. Simple, right? Also, thank you for the info. I was pretty sure it was a Free and had posted that on the Sit A Spell thread here. But it is nice to get conformation from someone I trust. Did you know,... that the slideplates, shuttle, and the bobbin are all interchangeable with Singer 27,127, 28, 128 machines? Mine was missing both of the slideplates. I had a parts machine Singer 27 here and tried them. They fit like a charm. I am sure that you can imagine my relief.

Sabine, It took me about five days. One whole day was spent on the handwheel alone. I was so glad when that was done.
~G~
Grant,
I knew the shuttle and bobbins would interchange, but I didn't know about the slide plates. That's a good thing to learn.

Getting them clean isn't that hard really, but you make them look new. That's what amazes me.
Even the rusty parts look newish when your done. Mine just look like cleaned parts.

Joe