View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 02:47 PM
helou

Sorry! I thought the quote would be included in my previous post (#62). I was talking about putting quilts for storage under the mattress as #1 piecemaker mentioned in the first post on page 1. I will remember that as I keep quilting and lacking of places to store them awaiting the "right" recipient as I want to give my quilts to somebody who shows interest in handmade quilt.
I love reading all the stories you wrote. Some are really touching, some are dramatic indeed but all are interesting to read for me.
As a kid I remember having a quilt on my bed. I did not pay attention to it as it was always there, washed and used again. I remember one day, my mother was sewing extra long leftover fabric strips over a sheet what I would now called a foundation. This is the only quilt I remember her sewing. She did not call it a quilt as it was "just" strips of fabric, and no piecing was involved so for her it was "not a real quilt".... and she did not used batting or anything. She loved using her sewing machine. She sew almost all our clothes for my brother and I. She would make suits and pants for my brother and our winter coats, my uniform for school, but no quilt.
When my brother and my SIL had their first baby, I was still at school and I could not afford to buy a nice gift. Mum thought I could learn how to quilt a baby quilt out of cheater fabric as I loved knitting and crochet, but I was not at all interested in any kind of sewing. So I did not learn and the baby quilt did not get made.
I know she did quilt before she married, and it was for her hope chest. As I always appreciated handmade "anything" when my parents moved from their house to a tiny appartment she asked me if I wanted her quilts. Of course I wanted them. I even found out at least one quilt that she had made but I had never seen it. I still have them.
When I met my now husband, 10 years ago, his sister is an avid quilter. I just retired then and I got interested in learning what I could have learn years ago with my mother. My “new” SIL lent me a book, I took a quilting class and that was it. I have been quilting ever since.