Old 01-12-2010, 05:24 PM
wvdek

Originally Posted by Diana
Something similar on Christmas Day...
We decided to go the the country for Christmas (husband's grandmother's home) out of state. There were 12 of us staying in a small country home. We went out in the woods and cut down a Christmas tree and all the kids decorated. We kept them busy stringing popcorn and cranberries...the whole nine yards. Well the boys got restless ( ages 11 and 14) They took their new twenty two rifles and walked down the lane to a small storage barn filled with antiques to the rafters. You guessed it, The whole side of the barn, and windows were riddled with gunshot holes.....When the damage to all of the antiques was shown to them, they said they didn't think the bullets would go all the way threw the building.....Their father, a Baptist minister and his wife just shook their heads, said nothing and did not offer to pay for anything. The building belonged to an uncle, so I guessed they thought it was OK to ignore what their kids had done. These are the same kids that set fire the the church bus. Nothing was done then either. Amazing.
When I read this, I was livid.

Apparently these boys have not been properly trained in the use of firearms. If I remember my training, some of the rules go like this:
Never handle a firearm until properly trained to do so and you have gone through the firearm safety courses and received your certificate.
Firearms are not for playing with.
Be sure of your target and beyond.
Never point a gun at someone unless you intend to kill them.
No person under the age of 18 shall have or use a firearm without having adult supervision.

There are many more rules, but the jest of this is these parents need to be held responsible for these boys. I would have contacted the sheriffs/police dept. and had them take care of the situation. They more than likely would have confiscated the firearms and had a good talking to for the whole family. Also, I would still speak with the sheriffs dept. about charges if any, see if they will still talk to to the family, and I would definitely let them know about the bus if they don't already know.
As to setting the bus on fire...three-fourths of all incarcerated individuals have begun their path by starting fires and/or hurting animals. This is a fact.
My training started with my father, then ROTC rifle team and Captain of team in high school, married a cop, firearms courses up the wazoo, and police training. My uncle was also a national shooting champion. I have been around guns my whole life and the main thing that was drilled into my head was , "know your target and beyond!"

Sorry this was so long and I know it will start some controversy, but this is a real sore point for me and especially parents who don't step up to the plate and take their parenting duties seriously.