Old 01-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by wvdek
When I read this, I was livid.

Apparently these boys have not been properly trained in the use of firearms. If I remember my training, some of the rules go like this:
Never handle a firearm until properly trained to do so and you have gone through the firearm safety courses and received your certificate.
Firearms are not for playing with.
Be sure of your target and beyond.
Never point a gun at someone unless you intend to kill them.
No person under the age of 18 shall have or use a firearm without having adult supervision.

My training started with my father, then ROTC rifle team and Captain of team in high school, married a cop, firearms courses up the wazoo, and police training. My uncle was also a national shooting champion. I have been around guns my whole life and the main thing that was drilled into my head was , "know your target and beyond!"
I was taught the same thing you were and the other thing that was drilled into my head was to never fire a gun if there was anyone that was not behind you out of the line of fire. You could not be standing next to any one with a gun you had to be behind them and a safe distance from them. If you broke that rule you had to go back in the house and could not hang out with the guys!

It was and has always been a right of passage for a boy to receive his first real rifle around 10 or so years old. And its always a .22 rifle it seems. My dad had to saw off the stock of my gun because it was too big for me at the time LOL. I never went through any gun safety courses growing up my father, uncle and grandfather taught me how to use a weapon and the safety aspects. And I was always supervised until I was around 14 or 15 thats when I was allowed to go hunting with my dad and grandpa. But when we went hunting dad and my grandpa was always in the woods somewhere with me.

My 18yo daughter has gone through all of the safety courses and I did the same so we could do it together. We both are avid hunters and you can go into her room and she has my old .22 rifle (she learned to shoot on it), 12 gauge pump and 30-06 hanging on her wall along with a 10 point she nailed when she was 16.

She made me so proud, but she also bagged the biggest one that year and she has yet to let me forget it!!

I also have a permit to carry a weapon and I never leave the house with out my S&W .40 on my hip. In my state it has to be exposed not concealed. My wife has a permit also but since we usually go places together she never carries unless she is going on a trip. The way I look at it it is my constitutional right to bear arms and I am grateful for it.

Billy