Thread: Guilds
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 02:48 AM
WMUTeach

I joined my guild to learn new skills and techniques in a casual setting. We are a group of about 55 that meets once a month but seldom are all in attendance. We have many "snow birds" who go south for the winter. The skill level of the group is beginner to expert and we work strategically to not focus on only higher level skills or only beginner skills. We have a number of group projects that are always optional each year: mystery quilt, Farmer's Wife quilt, donation quilt, exchange block quilt and a "quilt along" that lasts for a 10/11 months. Over time we have found that several small subgroups have developed organically. As we get to know one another, we find others who are interested in paper piecing, quilts of valor, long arm quilting, hand quilting, bags and purses. These small groups meet informally as they choose and folks come and go from the groups as they choose.

We hold to retreats that are the BEST! We spend two and a half days sewing, helping each other, encouraging each other and just laughing and spending time working on our joy and passion, quilts.

What would make me leave? If we get too big and lose the close friendship feeling of the group, have demands on production of work or unasked for critique of our work.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 05-29-2015 at 02:51 AM. Reason: additional thoughts