View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 02:15 AM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by suzanprincess View Post
Perhaps she was thinking of replacement value, in case it got lost in shipping, instead of the VAT surcharge. For $40 I think I'd have refused the package!
I'm sure she was, but unless she is actually buying insurance to go along with that package, it is bad for the receiver to put that much value on a gift. While we may personally state that a quilt or fabric is worth that much, if you want to not pay that much in import tax/VAT, you need to keep the costs/prices/value low.

If anyone in my family sends me something new, I always ask them to buy it (or get it from me shipped via Amazon, for example), and then they are to OPEN the package and then send it along--preferably along with other used stuff, like used clothing.. I think the gov't. is MOST concerned that people are going to resell stuff--not that they are going to use it themselves. If the package is opened, it is no longer considered "new" and thus doesn't command new prices.

I am considering buying the EQ blocks add-on and it is about $70. If I do it, I will have it sent to my daughter, hopefully she can copy the disk for insurance and then put the original in the mail to me without all the packaging. I can wait to get the accompanying book...just need the program add-on.