Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric price woes >

Fabric price woes

Fabric price woes

Old 05-29-2015, 04:56 AM

Think about it. Most countries other than the USA have socialized medicine "FREE", but SOMEONE pays, and that is your government, financed by taxes....hardly "free". I have read, on some quilting group, that in many countries higher education is also, "Free", also paid for by your taxes. Retirement.....same thing. The more your government "gives" you, the more it must take from you....simple! In the USA our government will provide medical care, Medicaid, for those who declare themselves indigent and unable to provide for them selves. For the rest, we pay big time, or our employers pay. Before my husband and I turned 65 and got Medicare (old age benefit) we paid $1550 a month for our health insurance, and that didn't cover everything. I "need" fabric to be cheap.....hahahah.

I am USA born and bred, so our system seems "normal" to me, for others, just the opposite. It's a hot topic in the USA, with strong feelings on both sides. I'm 67 and still don't know what side I'm on. What is becoming clear to me is that in other countries the choices of items to buy, at least in the fabric/sewing area, are fewer....fewer machines, fewer fabric choices.

I HOPE I did not offend anyone, I tried to just state the reasons for why things are the way they are...like I said....I don't even know which is "best". It's a very complicated issue and I have only skimmed the surface.....many more facts to consider.

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Very little is cheaper here - I'm racking my brains to think of anything! Whisky(Scotch)? Sewing machines tend to have a similar price to the U.S., but you have a far greater selection, particularly in the lower price bracket. Notions are more expensive too. $22-$25 a metre (39") is fairly standard here.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Shipping might have been very high! (Keep telling yourself that)
Yes! Can't forget the shipping costs.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:08 AM

The fabric is gorgeous. Too bad you couldn't have found the cheaper price before you bought; but, as you said, at least you have the perfect fabric for your needs.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:19 AM

At least in England (from what I've read) you can afford your prescription medication. Here, even for generics, prices have risen 2,000 to 6,000 percent over what the drugs cost just a few years ago. That's for generics. And if your medication does not come in generic, you have to go without. One of mine would run me $900/month, another goes for $1,200/month.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
..I was talking to the owner of a quilt shop in Colorado about this, and she said she has Australian customers who say it's worth paying the airfare and accommodation costs to come to the States for their fabric. We found that hard to believe, unless they're buying HUGE quantities!
That is hard to believe - if you do order on-line the best fabrics for the least prices that I have found include:
(1) 1000s of bolts but only one nut;
(2) Marshall's Dry Goods;
(3) Fabric Shack
(4) Hancocks of Paducah sales.
Best of luck.
You do make me feel better about the prices I pay-Thanks
Sincerely -Judy mannix
Old 05-29-2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
Think about it. Most countries other than the USA have socialized medicine "FREE", but SOMEONE pays, and that is your government, financed by taxes....hardly "free". I have read, on some quilting group, that in many countries higher education is also, "Free", also paid for by your taxes. Retirement.....same thing. The more your government "gives" you, the more it must take from you....simple! In the USA our government will provide medical care, Medicaid, for those who declare themselves indigent and unable to provide for them selves. For the rest, we pay big time, or our employers pay. Before my husband and I turned 65 and got Medicare (old age benefit) we paid $1550 a month for our health insurance, and that didn't cover everything. I "need" fabric to be cheap.....hahahah.

I am USA born and bred, so our system seems "normal" to me, for others, just the opposite. It's a hot topic in the USA, with strong feelings on both sides. I'm 67 and still don't know what side I'm on. What is becoming clear to me is that in other countries the choices of items to buy, at least in the fabric/sewing area, are fewer....fewer machines, fewer fabric choices.

I HOPE I did not offend anyone, I tried to just state the reasons for why things are the way they are...like I said....I don't even know which is "best". It's a very complicated issue and I have only skimmed the surface.....many more facts to consider.

This is correct. In Scotland we have free prescriptions, health care and higher education - these matters are devolved to the Scottish govt. In England there is an £8+ flat rate charge per prescription except of course for under 16s and pensioners. English students also have to pay uni fees. As you say, it's what you grow up accustomed to. Your system is as alien to me as ours would be to you.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

The fabric is gorgeous. Love the colors and design, it should make a beautiful quilt.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
No - thanks for asking. As long as it's marked as 'Gift' and the sender sticks to the $10 'value' (haha!) it's fine. I have been hit on two occasions though. One swapper put the value of her gift at $103, which included a $12.00 value for two used magazines - one of which actually had a 10 cent sticker on! Grr! As we have to pay VAT - Value Added Tax of 20% and a 'Handling' fee, it cost nearly $40!
Perhaps she was thinking of replacement value, in case it got lost in shipping, instead of the VAT surcharge. For $40 I think I'd have refused the package!
Old 05-30-2015, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by suzanprincess View Post
Perhaps she was thinking of replacement value, in case it got lost in shipping, instead of the VAT surcharge. For $40 I think I'd have refused the package!
I'm sure she was, but unless she is actually buying insurance to go along with that package, it is bad for the receiver to put that much value on a gift. While we may personally state that a quilt or fabric is worth that much, if you want to not pay that much in import tax/VAT, you need to keep the costs/prices/value low.

If anyone in my family sends me something new, I always ask them to buy it (or get it from me shipped via Amazon, for example), and then they are to OPEN the package and then send it along--preferably along with other used stuff, like used clothing.. I think the gov't. is MOST concerned that people are going to resell stuff--not that they are going to use it themselves. If the package is opened, it is no longer considered "new" and thus doesn't command new prices.

I am considering buying the EQ blocks add-on and it is about $70. If I do it, I will have it sent to my daughter, hopefully she can copy the disk for insurance and then put the original in the mail to me without all the packaging. I can wait to get the accompanying book...just need the program add-on.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Last time I ordered from US the parcel was opened at customs and returned to seller. The only reason I can think was the reason is drugs used in the manufacture of the fabric. I can't think of another reason haven't ordered any since.
I would contact the seller and ask what reason they were given for the return... Might just be someone in customs was having a bad day....