Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric price woes >

Fabric price woes

Fabric price woes

Old 05-28-2015, 04:07 AM

Interesting thread. Guess it's time to stop complaining about the prices here!
Old 05-28-2015, 04:13 AM

I wonder how many of us walk into a quilt shop and ask...."What's New"? Fabric companies are constantly releasing new Collections and not reprinting past collections....this has to contribute to higher costs of fabric too. Designers, printing, mill costs, etc. The consumer is always on the lookout for "new". We are never content!

Sandy
Old 05-28-2015, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Notwendy View Post
Is the price difference due to economies of scale? Or tax differences? I just can't see why an item (often of Chinese origin despite country of company incorporation) is so much higher outside the US. Maybe I should finance my trips abroad with bundles of fabric. : )
I too don't understand the higher cost outside US.......and cost of mailing? Is there a reverse to it...like what might be cheaper there than here(US)?
Old 05-28-2015, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I too don't understand the higher cost outside US.......and cost of mailing? Is there a reverse to it...like what might be cheaper there than here(US)?
Very little is cheaper here - I'm racking my brains to think of anything! Whisky(Scotch)? Sewing machines tend to have a similar price to the U.S., but you have a far greater selection, particularly in the lower price bracket. Notions are more expensive too. $22-$25 a metre (39") is fairly standard here.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:52 AM

I just placed an order with an on-line fabric store for 5 yards of fabric and the S & H was $22.40. On top of that we have to pay the exchange on the Canadian dollar. Makes shopping on-line just about as expensive as shopping in Canada. Only advantage is getting all the fabric from one place & not having to search several LQS. The Canadian dollar has not been good for several months. Hope it turns around soon.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gail B View Post
I just placed an order with an on-line fabric store for 5 yards of fabric and the S & H was $22.40. On top of that we have to pay the exchange on the Canadian dollar. Makes shopping on-line just about as expensive as shopping in Canada. Only advantage is getting all the fabric from one place & not having to search several LQS. The Canadian dollar has not been good for several months. Hope it turns around soon.
When I was in college, the Canadian dollar was only about 70-80cents to a dollar. I think it went up over a US $ for a while.

If you all take trips to the US, it is a problem to bring back fabric into the country in your car?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:51 PM

Knitette, I sent you a Secret Pal package a few months ago. Did you have to pay Customs on top of the postage I paid? That's a lot of moola!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
Knitette, I sent you a Secret Pal package a few months ago. Did you have to pay Customs on top of the postage I paid? That's a lot of moola!
No - thanks for asking. As long as it's marked as 'Gift' and the sender sticks to the $10 'value' (haha!) it's fine. I have been hit on two occasions though. One swapper put the value of her gift at $103, which included a $12.00 value for two used magazines - one of which actually had a 10 cent sticker on! Grr! As we have to pay VAT - Value Added Tax of 20% and a 'Handling' fee, it cost nearly $40!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
No - thanks for asking. As long as it's marked as 'Gift' and the sender sticks to the $10 'value' (haha!) it's fine. I have been hit on two occasions though. One swapper put the value of her gift at $103, which included a $12.00 value for two used magazines - one of which actually had a 10 cent sticker on! Grr! As we have to pay VAT - Value Added Tax of 20% and a 'Handling' fee, it cost nearly $40!
Some people have no idea what it's like to live overseas and deal with this kind of tax. I'd say she has an overly sensitive conscience. But when there is a 10cent sticker on something, why declare it as worth more? Amazing.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:41 AM

Beautiful fabric