Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric price woes >

Fabric price woes

Fabric price woes

Old 05-27-2015, 11:46 PM

I order from Hancocks all the time - they have a discounted shipping rate of $10 per $50 spend. The first 5 or 6 orders slipped through OK, but my last few orders have incurred Import Tax and a handling fee. I think I must be on some list, lol!

That said, even with the shipping and Customs fees, I'm still only paying around half of what it costs here, so the fees are a risk worth taking .

I'm afraid I seldom buy fabric from my LQS unless fabric is on sale, but I support them in other ways, classes, drop ins etc. and have bought two sewing machines from them.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
I order from Hancocks all the time - they have a discounted shipping rate of $10 per $50 spend. The first 5 or 6 orders slipped through OK, but my last few orders have incurred Import Tax and a handling fee. I think I must be on some list, lol!

That said, even with the shipping and Customs fees, I'm still only paying around half of what it costs here, so the fees are a risk worth taking .

I'm afraid I seldom buy fabric from my LQS unless fabric is on sale, but I support them in other ways, classes, drop ins etc. and have bought two sewing machines from them.
Thank you for that info Knitette, I will have a look at Hancocks. With the price of fabric in the UK I always seem to stick with small projects but I woud love to make some large quilts!
Old 05-28-2015, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post

That's good to know. I'll check them out!
Old 05-28-2015, 01:29 AM

Okay Ladies.... Here is my twopence worth.

It hurts when I pay exorbitant prices for fabric here compared to the U.S. but I put up with it as I love quilting and would miss it terribly if I stopped. BUT I object to buying piecemeal bits of fabric....... For example, LQS here never seem to carry a full range of fabrics, just the ones the shop owner found appealing.... So I look on line, find some fabrics on a pattern or US site that I love and try to buy them here only to be told that they have only a few fabrics from that particular range. So when you see a quilt made using a particular range that you want to make... It takes weeks to find the fabrics.

Now here is the way to get fabric Customs free! If you have a friend in the US, get them to buy he fabric for you and to post it in a flat rate envelope ($24.95) which will take 6 - 8 yards depending on the length and the fold of the fabric. As the friend purchased it they can legitimately send it to you as a gift which will not incur taxes and customs up to a cost of £75 (I think... But please check the HMRC website).

hugs to all and happy quilting.

Caroline
Old 05-28-2015, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
Okay Ladies.... Here is my twopence worth.

It hurts when I pay exorbitant prices for fabric here compared to the U.S. but I put up with it as I love quilting and would miss it terribly if I stopped. BUT I object to buying piecemeal bits of fabric....... For example, LQS here never seem to carry a full range of fabrics, just the ones the shop owner found appealing.... So I look on line, find some fabrics on a pattern or US site that I love and try to buy them here only to be told that they have only a few fabrics from that particular range. So when you see a quilt made using a particular range that you want to make... It takes weeks to find the fabrics.

Now here is the way to get fabric Customs free! If you have a friend in the US, get them to buy he fabric for you and to post it in a flat rate envelope ($24.95) which will take 6 - 8 yards depending on the length and the fold of the fabric. As the friend purchased it they can legitimately send it to you as a gift which will not incur taxes and customs up to a cost of £75 (I think... But please check the HMRC website).

hugs to all and happy quilting.

Caroline
That is an excellent idea.

I know that I'd do it for you next time I go to the states...I feel for you all.

I know that I buy stuff and send it back to myself here in Poland via boat - and it is cheap as it isn't the mail--takes 3-8 weeks.

The mail is expensive and draws more attention. When I ship to myself, I consider everything I sent used and it is labeled at yard sale prices. We can get (daily) under $45 worth before we pay customs. I would think that it would be the same for you as we are in the EU. If it is a gift, then it is valued at $0, so there shouldn't be any customs charge. (I will readily admit that I pretty much only put fabric that I picked up at thrift stores in these boxes, however. I bring the more expensive stuff in my suitcase/carryon.)

A friend of mine put a value of more than that on some charity lap quilts that she made us. I had to go in, pay $40 or something like that in tax (based on the declared value) and received the quilts (which I could then give away). I told her about it and she will remember to put $0 on the declared value in the future.

Last edited by justflyingin; 05-28-2015 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:07 AM

A $50 order has the $10 Shipping charge - works out at around £38 and incurs £12-14 Import VAT/Handling.

If you get hit, don't be surprised if you get an email from a company called 'Customs Clearance Ltd.' instead of a Post Office card - it's the handling company for fees and not a spoof or spam - at least in this area and they take PayPal. Watch your 'Junk' folder 7-10 days after the Hancocks shipping email in case! Your parcel is delivered a couple of days after payment.

Hancocks (link) has loads of fabrics at $4.99-$6.99 and they have a lot of nice backing fabrics too

Their Customer Service is great too - I had a small hole in a backing fabric and sent them the photos. They replaced it without question
Old 05-28-2015, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I bought 30yds of fabric from thousands of bolts. postage was $55 (for 11-30 yds) - total cost was $250. If I'd bought it here, would have cost me $650. New lines, toile and such can be $32 metre in the LQSs, and discount shops usually charge $10-26 for 'better' fabrics, with sale items down to $5pmt. I don't really know why the cost is so high, but I do know the shop owners put on a hefty mark-up, and probably the middle man does too. If I had done that in the grocery business I'd have gone broke.
I think that there are too many middle men. I think even if customs/VAT were 100% of the wholesale price, it would still be cheaper (much) than what you pay. And I don't think it is nearly that much. In Poland, VAT is something like 22-24%--not sure at the moment.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:18 AM

At those prices it would be difficult to build a stash! I will look at my fabric with new appreciation now!
Old 05-28-2015, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
How much would the price of the $6 be by the time you had it mailed to you?
I've priced material sent to Australia. In general, it is still $7-$10 per metre cheaper by the time it gets here. I should imagine it costs less to the UK?
Old 05-28-2015, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

So very sad for your pocket book but glad you got such gorgeous fabric.