View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 12:18 PM
OurWorkbench

SUPPORT METHODS

I planned to write about the baseboards and fasteners, but I think this might be a good time to consider a few alternatives for supporting a swing frame. I'd like for people early on to see that there are many possibilities. I'll address the baseboards next.

I have had lots of daydreams during the building of this work stand. I thought I'd share some of the better ones here. I'm going to offer detailed plans for the original prototype base soon. However, these are just quick illustrations to show a few alternative design ideas. I've made all the same size and scale for easy comparison. And for simplicity of illustration only side views are shown.

Prototype Base

The first or prototype base was designed from necessity. It supports the weight of the swing frame and machine on two vertical legs. Two more pieces, running front to back on each side, keep the supports from tipping forward or backward. Lastly, a cross member holds the sides together. Bolted with lag bolts, it forms a sturdy, simple and portable base for the work stand. It is so satisfactory that no other support methods have been needed.

(Prototype Stand)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521272[/ATTACH]

Hanging

Perhaps the simplest support of all would be to hang the swing frame, as shown in the picture below. This could be a rigid installation, with supports fastened to ceiling joists, or it could have the ability to swing if it was bumped. If mounted with connected eye hooks at the top, it could move. Of course, some kind of large washers should be on the ends of the pivot shafts to prevent them from slipping out of the supports.

One could even use chains with large hooks, provided the pivot shafts were prevented from slipping out. With chains, some unique style of locking mechanism would be needed and I don't yet have a good idea for that.

(Hanging Support)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521273[/ATTACH]

Wall Mount

A swing frame could be supported from two arms attached to a wall. The connection of the arms to the wall would need to be very secure, such as fastening them to the wall studs with lag bolts.

(Wall Support)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521274[/ATTACH]

Simple Floor Stand

A simple floor stand could be constructed as shown below. I would probably put crisscrossed ties between the sides on the back supports, for side to side stability. Then, a single cross piece in the front, 6 to 12 inches off the floor, could serve as a comfortable foot rest.

(Floor Stand)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521275[/ATTACH]

Simple Floor Stand With Shelf

From the side view here it doesn't look much different, but adding a shelf to the floor stand would change its feel quite a bit. Instead of being an open stand, it would take on more of the feel of a desk, with a place to put parts or tools while working.

(Floor Stand With Shelf)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521276[/ATTACH]

Curved Metal Tubing Supports

For use with a sturdy desk or bench, metal rectangular tubing could be fashioned into a stylish and in-obtrusive support system, using two curved arms. It would have to be custom fabricated. It would be the most expensive of these approaches to the support of a swing frame. But it would look nice.

(Metal Tubing Supports)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521277[/ATTACH]

My daydreams are starting to cost a lot, so I'll stop. But, I hope the above ideas may be helpful at your early stages of thinking. I'm sure there are many more methods of safely supporting a swing frame. These are but a few possibilities. Maybe you can think of some ways that I haven't.

More soon...

John
Attached Thumbnails baseproto1a.jpg   basehanging1.jpg   basewall1.jpg   basefloor1.jpg   basefloor2.jpg  

basebackbench1.jpg