View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 11:25 AM
EdNerd

Default Any tips on hand-sewing large circles?

My wife and I are finally ready to do the quilting on a quilt she started for my daughter 5 years ago. She's the sewing master - I'm just the heavy lifter and technician.

We finally have the sandwich pinned - it's got two layers of the thickest poly batting my daughter could find. (And we're in Arizona?? Oh, well - it's what she wanted!) My daughter marked out very large circles (from 6 to 12 inches diameter) on top that she wants done in various colors of embroidery thread (DMC six-strand).

We bought a Flynn frame to put this in so my wife could hand-quilt, but then decided it was going to be too much fiddlin' around to get it mounted. It's 72 by 85, and doesn't roll up well. So then I bought a Dritz PVC floor stand from JoAnn. Had to tie the side "clamps" on to get them to stay down over the quilt!

The problem is how to maintain the circle on the bottom? We can get a nice circle on top where we can see and follow the lines. But there's nothing marked on the bottom, and we couldn't see it if there were! We can put the needle down through the top, and push it back up on the line, but there's not guarentee we're getting a smooth circle underneath.

Any ideas are most welcome!
Ed