View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 10:53 AM
linkd

In the late 60's I worked for the telephone company as an operator. It was when pant suits were just starting to be available and the dress code was reluctantly modified to make them wearable to work. But the rules about what constituted a "pants suit" were very well defined. It needed to be the same fabric top and bottom, same color etc. One day a co-worker wore a very nice pair of burgundy wool pants and a matching wool sweater. She was sent home to change after much debate about woven wool vs. knit wool etc. The powers that be and the union rep reached an agreement that even though the rules did not describe it that way a "pants suit" basically meant a mens' wear style suit worn by a girl.

My co-worker went home and came back the next day wearing .... jeans, a white button down shirt, and a jeans jacket. It checked off every item on the dress code list. The fabric matched in both color and texture, the shirt was tailored, the supervisors were stumped. They talked to her about it not being in the spirit of the code, but the previous day's had been so a little weak logic there. She was always one of the best dressed people in the office, but she had the clothes to quit in.

I don't remember her name, but for nearly 50 years she has been one of my personal heroes. So if you worked at Van Nuys toll. Thanks for helping that silly rule go away.

Lin