Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new unwashed jeans and overalls

Power Poster

new unwashed jeans and overalls

Anyone else remember new jeans that were so stiff that they had to be washed about ten times before they would bend?

And buying them "big" to allow for shrinkage?

And the water still turning blue after many many washes?

I do like buying the pre- washed jeans.

Will not buy the bleach Streaked or torn/frayed ones. I still think the jeans should "earn" wear fade and frays and tears From actual wear by a person.

I agree. Paying top dollar for things to look worn out just doesn't cut it for me. Probably dating myself with that attitude, lol.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Even when I was younger and fairly trim and slim, I never wore the jeans that were faded. They never looked dressy no matter how much some tried. I remember my cousin bought a pear of high dollar jeans. She and her brother took them out to a tree with a shotgun. They had to wait a couple days because when the gun went off, they disturbed a hornet's nest right above and they ran leaving the gun and the jeans behind. When they went back the gun was missing. Uncle was not a happy camper and even more upset that those $30.00 jeans had holes in them. She was suppose to get 2 pair without holes. That was her last pair til she got a job after high school.

I used to live in a mill town, Stonewall Mississippi. Burlington cotton mill. We had a mill store that I used to go in to buy jeans. They were just like that. Thanks for invoking a memory.

I had several pairs of jeans, which started out stiff and dark indigo . . . and ended up faded (no bleach, just worn a lot) and as soft as butter. I used to wear them to school and embroider flowers and such on the legs, between classes. My very favorite pair finally got so thin in the seat, I was afraid to wear them in public. I think I still have them, boxed up somewhere. In those days, I was very active and quite thin, so I keep them for sentimental purposes only.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I remember growing up that only the really poor people wore jeans that were frayed and had holes in them. My mom always patched and trimmed to make our jeans look good.

And and don't even get me started on the people that wear their pants so far down they have to hold them up just to walk. Disgusting

We could not wear "pants" to school until 1970. And even then we weren't allowed to wear jeans until 1972. My first pair of Levi's I bought at a fancy store called Fredericks & Nelson were what we called at the time - button up the front, now they call them 501's. They cost $5.00 and my mom thought that was terrible for jeans. I don't think my older sisters ever wore Levi's since they were out of school before it became fashionable to wear them.

I made my own clothes beginning when I was around 12 yrs. old. I've always loved to sew, but now I have so many clothes, I don't sew clothing anymore. The very 1st pair of blue jeans I ever owned and wore, are some I bought the fabric and made myself at age 17. I had an after-school and weekend job, and I bought a lot of fabric for all the clothing that my sister and I wore. I also made my mom some clothing. But the jeans, yes, my when I saw how stiff the denim was, even for the homemade ones, I only made the one pair!

And by the way, at our little country school, we couldn't wear pants until I was a jr. in high school, so beginning in 1973 at the start of the school yr., we could only wear dress pants! So I'm dating myself.....I graduated in 1975, and I'm getting older and proud of it.....it's a blessing from above!
    Last edited by DebbieJJ; 06-11-2015 at 02:18 AM.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Blog Entries
    Back in the late 50's, we were not allowed to wear jeans or slacks of any kind to school. Only exception that I can remember was Senior Ditch Day

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    Even when I was younger and fairly trim and slim, I never wore the jeans that were faded. They never looked dressy no matter how much some tried. I remember my cousin bought a pear of high dollar jeans. She and her brother took them out to a tree with a shotgun. They had to wait a couple days because when the gun went off, they disturbed a hornet's nest right above and they ran leaving the gun and the jeans behind. When they went back the gun was missing. Uncle was not a happy camper and even more upset that those $30.00 jeans had holes in them. She was suppose to get 2 pair without holes. That was her last pair til she got a job after high school.
    Love this story. thanks for a morning chuckle. Starts the day off on a bright note.

No jeans (or even dress pants) when I went to school! (I'm older than dirt) I think I was almost 30 before I had my first pair of jeans. Now it seems that's all I wear! Gotta love retirement! I'm wondering how old you have to be before you start looking stupid in jeans? I quit wearing shorts (long ones too, to the knees) a few years ago. I moved to capri pants.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Blog Entries
    There was 5 of us girl's in school who decided to change the dress code. We wore our Levi's. The school called our parents to bring us appropriate clothing. They did on the 1st day but for the next 5 school days we sat in the office. My Mom finally told them that she felt jeans were more appropriate than mini skirts and if they did not let us attend classes she was going to the news station. We won but we were only allowed to wear ''dress jeans'' which were jeans with out the double seam on the outside of the legs. They did not exist back then so we kept wearing our undressy jeans.That was in 1969-7th grade. Us 5 were labeled 'The Rabble Rouser's' by the girls counselor in the year book. Years later I ran into her and she told me she was proud of us for standing our ground and getting rid of the mini skirts.

NO, I don't remember that and I have worn jeans for most of my life. I LOVE the ones that stretch now a days.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Funny this post should appear now. My husband was just teasing me yesterday because I was wearing a new pair of distressed jean shorts. I told him that sometimes when you find a pair that fits well, you have to take what you can get. I generally wouldn't buy distressed, or want to buy them for my girls (ages 13 and 11) but I have trouble finding a good fit. I'll just be selective about where I wear them.

Power Poster
    I was thinking more about my husband's jeans than mine!

We were allowed to wear snow pants under our dresses when it was really cold. But then we had to take them off during the day.

I graduated from high school in 1959 and live in southern Minnesota. We had snow up to our armpits some years!

My Mom was an instigator for getting jeans/pants/slacks allowed for girls!

i don't remember having BLUE jeans for me - I did have a pair of charcoal gray pin-strip "jeans" - my Mom hated them on me! I do vaguely remember a pair of red plaid flannel pants I wore for snow days! UGH!
    Last edited by bearisgray; 06-11-2015 at 05:19 AM.

I'm the only one of my friends and family who sews. So my BFF has a teen aged girl (I'm so happy I'm out of that stage), she's got such a case of the "I wants" it's killing her and driving her mom NUTS.
    So I have a new jean jacket, cut the sleeves out and then beat the daylights out of it (she only want used items, because she's saving the planet). Her mom got her some "NEW" jeans, and she had a fit. Told mom to bring them to me (I have sandpaper and I know how to use it), the jeans lived at my house for a week. Then mom got them back and gave them to her daughter (we spent the afternoon laughing about how happy her daughter was and how her daughter was telling her friend how her mom "GETS IT"), is happy, mom is happy and I'm happy to be able to help them both.
    For me I just want my jean soft and pre-washed.

Power Poster
    Try going to yard sales or second hand stores - Good Will, Savers, Salvation Army - etc.

Well! ! ! I guess I went to a progressive high school. In the spring of 1951 we were allowed to wear jeans to school on Friday. It was Friday Jeans Day. Before that it was only dresses for school. If we wore snow pants, which we needed to do in central Wisconsin, we tucked the dress into the snow pants. I had to walk almost 2 miles to high school. Couldn't ride the bus because you had to live at least 2 miles from school to get a bus ride. But we got rides from others many times. When I was a freshman, my sister was a senior and we had a Model T Ford. She could drive that to school. I have a permanent frown mark on my brow from squinting into the sun walking home every night looking into the sun. I've had that wrinkled brow since I was 13.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    When DH and I were first married his jeans were stiff and indigo in colour. We use to boil them in the gas copper a couple of times then he considered them fit to wear.This was in the late 60's

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    We could wear pants to school under our skirts but had to take them off when we got to school. We were given a few minutes to dismiss early to put our pants back on. It was mighty cold in Indiana in the winter time. In high school we could wear heavy leggings under our skirts but no pants. I'm really dating myself, I was a "68" grad.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Same here also. Stupid is when they're worn past the behind. As long as my clothes are clean, Idon't worry. And any top will go with jeans or capris. Was asked one time if my clothes match. I tell people to look out the window and see if mother nature's colors match. Nuff said!!
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
    No jeans (or even dress pants) when I went to school! (I'm older than dirt) I think I was almost 30 before I had my first pair of jeans. Now it seems that's all I wear! Gotta love retirement! I'm wondering how old you have to be before you start looking stupid in jeans? I quit wearing shorts (long ones too, to the knees) a few years ago. I moved to capri pants.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    We could not wear "pants" to school until 1970. And even then we weren't allowed to wear jeans until 1972. My first pair of Levi's I bought at a fancy store called Fredericks & Nelson were what we called at the time - button up the front, now they call them 501's. They cost $5.00 and my mom thought that was terrible for jeans. I don't think my older sisters ever wore Levi's since they were out of school before it became fashionable to wear them.
    I graduated from high school, in '71. My jeans embroidery days were during college, between classes.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

When I was a teenager, I only wore Levi's 501 jeans; the ones with the button fly rather than a zipper. I bought them 2 sizes too big to allow for shrinkage. I miss my 501s. Pre-ripped jeans that you buy in the store are just stupid. I graduated high school in 1975.

Remember when the girls would buy their Levi's, get them really wet and wear them til they dried so that when they shrunk, they were form fitting?

In the late 60's I worked for the telephone company as an operator. It was when pant suits were just starting to be available and the dress code was reluctantly modified to make them wearable to work. But the rules about what constituted a "pants suit" were very well defined. It needed to be the same fabric top and bottom, same color etc. One day a co-worker wore a very nice pair of burgundy wool pants and a matching wool sweater. She was sent home to change after much debate about woven wool vs. knit wool etc. The powers that be and the union rep reached an agreement that even though the rules did not describe it that way a "pants suit" basically meant a mens' wear style suit worn by a girl.

My co-worker went home and came back the next day wearing .... jeans, a white button down shirt, and a jeans jacket. It checked off every item on the dress code list. The fabric matched in both color and texture, the shirt was tailored, the supervisors were stumped. They talked to her about it not being in the spirit of the code, but the previous day's had been so a little weak logic there. She was always one of the best dressed people in the office, but she had the clothes to quit in.

I don't remember her name, but for nearly 50 years she has been one of my personal heroes. So if you worked at Van Nuys toll. Thanks for helping that silly rule go away.

Lin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast