Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: new unwashed jeans and overalls

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by linkd View Post
    In the late 60's I worked for the telephone company as an operator. It was when pant suits were just starting to be available and the dress code was reluctantly modified to make them wearable to work. But the rules about what constituted a "pants suit" were very well defined. It needed to be the same fabric top and bottom, same color etc. One day a co-worker wore a very nice pair of burgundy wool pants and a matching wool sweater. She was sent home to change after much debate about woven wool vs. knit wool etc. The powers that be and the union rep reached an agreement that even though the rules did not describe it that way a "pants suit" basically meant a mens' wear style suit worn by a girl.

My co-worker went home and came back the next day wearing .... jeans, a white button down shirt, and a jeans jacket. It checked off every item on the dress code list. The fabric matched in both color and texture, the shirt was tailored, the supervisors were stumped. They talked to her about it not being in the spirit of the code, but the previous day's had been so a little weak logic there. She was always one of the best dressed people in the office, but she had the clothes to quit in.

I don't remember her name, but for nearly 50 years she has been one of my personal heroes. So if you worked at Van Nuys toll. Thanks for helping that silly rule go away.

Lin
    Love it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by linkd View Post
    In the late 60's I worked for the telephone company as an operator. It was when pant suits were just starting to be available and the dress code was reluctantly modified to make them wearable to work. But the rules about what constituted a "pants suit" were very well defined. It needed to be the same fabric top and bottom, same color etc. One day a co-worker wore a very nice pair of burgundy wool pants and a matching wool sweater. She was sent home to change after much debate about woven wool vs. knit wool etc. The powers that be and the union rep reached an agreement that even though the rules did not describe it that way a "pants suit" basically meant a mens' wear style suit worn by a girl.

My co-worker went home and came back the next day wearing .... jeans, a white button down shirt, and a jeans jacket. It checked off every item on the dress code list. The fabric matched in both color and texture, the shirt was tailored, the supervisors were stumped. They talked to her about it not being in the spirit of the code, but the previous day's had been so a little weak logic there. She was always one of the best dressed people in the office, but she had the clothes to quit in.

I don't remember her name, but for nearly 50 years she has been one of my personal heroes. So if you worked at Van Nuys toll. Thanks for helping that silly rule go away.

Lin
    We had a similar dress code, when I worked in a department store, (sales lady) while attending school. Needless to say, I was working because I didn't have much money . . . yet we were supposed to be professionally dressed. Pants suits were allowed if the fabrics were matching and only if the top was a jacket. We were also supposed to wear heels(!), even if we were standing behind a counter. Fortunately, counters were very forgiving and some of us were barefoot, at times.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    Remember when the girls would buy their Levi's, get them really wet and wear them til they dried so that when they shrunk, they were form fitting?
    I remember my sister doing that. One time she filled the bathtub , put on the jeans and sat in the tub and soaked for about an hour. She got out and let the jeans dry on her. When she took them off her skin was all blue from the dye. After she stopped crying we had a good laugh.

I agree. For the money- if I want faded and holes, I will do it myself. LOL

With the new jean style I have to be careful when my kids ask me to mend their jeans that I fix the 'right' holes!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    I agree. Paying top dollar for things to look worn out just doesn't cut it for me. Probably dating myself with that attitude, lol.
    I am the same way. I will not pay designer prices for someone to use and destroy my clothes before I get them. I can do it for myself for free!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    Remember when the girls would buy their Levi's, get them really wet and wear them til they dried so that when they shrunk, they were form fitting?
    Sure do remember that! It drove my mother nuts.

My daughters were 7 and 9 when we moved out of Chicago where girls could not wear pants at all. They either had to tuck their dresses into their leggings getting them all wrinkled or wear the leggings under their dresses, which was difficult because they all had straps--no elastic waists then- The leggings had to come off before class. They were so excited when we moved to a school district that allowed slacks. I think the oldest was in 7th or 8th grade before they could wear jeans to school.

Blog Entries
    my friend polly and i went to college to visit her big sister for the weekend. we were srs in hs, and one of the sister's friends thought he was quite a ladies' man. so polly went out with him before lunch, and i went out with him after lunch, then we compared notes. he tried the same old lines on each of us, and got the same non response from both of us, too. i ended up with a pair of his levis that were like butter, and had worn spots above each knee. and they fit like butter, too, lol! i loved them!but i put them in the laundry and mom took one look at those tears and threw them out! my dad said the idea of my wearing ripped, worn out jeans made him sick to his stomach. it was quite a while before i had another pair of levis that were broken in, but i assure you, they Never went into the laundry at my parents'. just broke my heart to lose those jeans! a good fitting , well worn pair of jeans is right up there with a good fitting, well worn pair of cowboy boots. no greater comfort!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Power Poster
    I agree with you....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2