Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
new unwashed jeans and overalls >

new unwashed jeans and overalls

new unwashed jeans and overalls

Old 06-11-2015, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

Same here also. Stupid is when they're worn past the behind. As long as my clothes are clean, Idon't worry. And any top will go with jeans or capris. Was asked one time if my clothes match. I tell people to look out the window and see if mother nature's colors match. Nuff said!!
Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
No jeans (or even dress pants) when I went to school! (I'm older than dirt) I think I was almost 30 before I had my first pair of jeans. Now it seems that's all I wear! Gotta love retirement! I'm wondering how old you have to be before you start looking stupid in jeans? I quit wearing shorts (long ones too, to the knees) a few years ago. I moved to capri pants.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
We could not wear "pants" to school until 1970. And even then we weren't allowed to wear jeans until 1972. My first pair of Levi's I bought at a fancy store called Fredericks & Nelson were what we called at the time - button up the front, now they call them 501's. They cost $5.00 and my mom thought that was terrible for jeans. I don't think my older sisters ever wore Levi's since they were out of school before it became fashionable to wear them.
I graduated from high school, in '71. My jeans embroidery days were during college, between classes.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:01 AM

When I was a teenager, I only wore Levi's 501 jeans; the ones with the button fly rather than a zipper. I bought them 2 sizes too big to allow for shrinkage. I miss my 501s. Pre-ripped jeans that you buy in the store are just stupid. I graduated high school in 1975.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:39 AM

Remember when the girls would buy their Levi's, get them really wet and wear them til they dried so that when they shrunk, they were form fitting?
Old 06-11-2015, 10:53 AM

In the late 60's I worked for the telephone company as an operator. It was when pant suits were just starting to be available and the dress code was reluctantly modified to make them wearable to work. But the rules about what constituted a "pants suit" were very well defined. It needed to be the same fabric top and bottom, same color etc. One day a co-worker wore a very nice pair of burgundy wool pants and a matching wool sweater. She was sent home to change after much debate about woven wool vs. knit wool etc. The powers that be and the union rep reached an agreement that even though the rules did not describe it that way a "pants suit" basically meant a mens' wear style suit worn by a girl.

My co-worker went home and came back the next day wearing .... jeans, a white button down shirt, and a jeans jacket. It checked off every item on the dress code list. The fabric matched in both color and texture, the shirt was tailored, the supervisors were stumped. They talked to her about it not being in the spirit of the code, but the previous day's had been so a little weak logic there. She was always one of the best dressed people in the office, but she had the clothes to quit in.

I don't remember her name, but for nearly 50 years she has been one of my personal heroes. So if you worked at Van Nuys toll. Thanks for helping that silly rule go away.

Lin
Old 06-11-2015, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by linkd View Post
In the late 60's I worked for the telephone company as an operator. It was when pant suits were just starting to be available and the dress code was reluctantly modified to make them wearable to work. But the rules about what constituted a "pants suit" were very well defined. It needed to be the same fabric top and bottom, same color etc. One day a co-worker wore a very nice pair of burgundy wool pants and a matching wool sweater. She was sent home to change after much debate about woven wool vs. knit wool etc. The powers that be and the union rep reached an agreement that even though the rules did not describe it that way a "pants suit" basically meant a mens' wear style suit worn by a girl.

My co-worker went home and came back the next day wearing .... jeans, a white button down shirt, and a jeans jacket. It checked off every item on the dress code list. The fabric matched in both color and texture, the shirt was tailored, the supervisors were stumped. They talked to her about it not being in the spirit of the code, but the previous day's had been so a little weak logic there. She was always one of the best dressed people in the office, but she had the clothes to quit in.

I don't remember her name, but for nearly 50 years she has been one of my personal heroes. So if you worked at Van Nuys toll. Thanks for helping that silly rule go away.

Lin
Love it!!!!
Old 06-11-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by linkd View Post

Lin
We had a similar dress code, when I worked in a department store, (sales lady) while attending school. Needless to say, I was working because I didn't have much money . . . yet we were supposed to be professionally dressed. Pants suits were allowed if the fabrics were matching and only if the top was a jacket. We were also supposed to wear heels(!), even if we were standing behind a counter. Fortunately, counters were very forgiving and some of us were barefoot, at times.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Remember when the girls would buy their Levi's, get them really wet and wear them til they dried so that when they shrunk, they were form fitting?
I remember my sister doing that. One time she filled the bathtub , put on the jeans and sat in the tub and soaked for about an hour. She got out and let the jeans dry on her. When she took them off her skin was all blue from the dye. After she stopped crying we had a good laugh.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:40 PM

I agree. For the money- if I want faded and holes, I will do it myself. LOL
Old 06-12-2015, 05:55 AM

With the new jean style I have to be careful when my kids ask me to mend their jeans that I fix the 'right' holes!!!!