View Single Post
Old 06-19-2015, 10:04 AM
cindi

My answers are below in blue.

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I am considering purchasing a used short/midarm machine and Hinterberg frame. The machine is a Singer A-1 that has an 11" harp. It will come from Nolting and be fully checked out before it is delivered.

I'm hoping someone here might have this frame and could answer a few questions. The only pictures I can find on the internet only show the front.
1. The description (see link below) mentions pantographs, but I can't see a table on the frame. Does it come with one or is that something I will add along with the rails? Where the wire thing is pointing down to the blue tape at the back of the machine is where you put your pantographs. That is a table. They've got it set up to do wooden pantos. I turned these boards over so the surface is smooth.
2. The description states this can be taken down and put back up in minutes. After the initial setup, is it easy to put up? I will be moving to smaller quarters in the next year, so I can't have a frame that has to stay up all the time. I can take mine down in about 30 minutes, put it up in 30 minutes
3. One description I read states this is a sit-down frame, but according to the website it is adjustable between 32" and 46". Can this be used standing up on the high position? I really can't imagine sitting down when quilting an 8-9' span without having to start and stop the machine a lot when moving the chair. Yes, you can stand. That's what most people do. It has adjustments on the legs to raise it higher or lower.
4. How do you attach the cloth leaders to the EMT? And since their cloth leaders are so expensive, can I make my own using lightweight canvas? They are attached with duct tape. Mine have been attached for 6 years without problems. I'm sure you can make your own leaders, just Google it. I've never had a problem with the conduit bending over time, and the "smoothness" of the frame has never been a bother to me. I don't use the wood - I use the metal frames. It basically comes "unfinished", ready for you to apply your own stain or varnish. Which I've never done.
5. The price of the machine/ frame combo is $1200.00 delivered. That seems like a good price to me, but wonder what others think? I have no idea about cost, so can't help you there.
Here's the link to the frame: http://www.hinterberg.com/stretchframe.aspx
Here's a pic of the machine on a different frame:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]522793[/ATTACH]