Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hinterberg stretch frame questions >

Hinterberg stretch frame questions

Hinterberg stretch frame questions

Old 06-19-2015, 03:27 AM

Default Hinterberg stretch frame questions

I am considering purchasing a used short/midarm machine and Hinterberg frame. The machine is a Singer A-1 that has an 11" harp. It will come from Nolting and be fully checked out before it is delivered.

I'm hoping someone here might have this frame and could answer a few questions. The only pictures I can find on the internet only show the front.
1. The description (see link below) mentions pantographs, but I can't see a table on the frame. Does it come with one or is that something I will add along with the rails?
2. The description states this can be taken down and put back up in minutes. After the initial setup, is it easy to put up? I will be moving to smaller quarters in the next year, so I can't have a frame that has to stay up all the time.
3. One description I read states this is a sit-down frame, but according to the website it is adjustable between 32" and 46". Can this be used standing up on the high position? I really can't imagine sitting down when quilting an 8-9' span without having to start and stop the machine a lot when moving the chair.
4. How do you attach the cloth leaders to the EMT? And since their cloth leaders are so expensive, can I make my own using lightweight canvas?
5. The price of the machine/ frame combo is $1200.00 delivered. That seems like a good price to me, but wonder what others think?
Here's the link to the frame: http://www.hinterberg.com/stretchframe.aspx
Here's a pic of the machine on a different frame:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]522793[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-1191.jpg  

Last edited by Belfrybat; 06-19-2015 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

I had this frame. it is made very well. but i had a problem with the smoothness of the wood... they told me to just sand it myself. the 'tubes' not bending is a bit misleading. you have to buy your own conduit at Home Depot, etc. the benefit of this frame is that you can have the conduit cut to any length you need... i only had room for 9.5 feet, so had mine cut that way. Sit down?... depends on how you set it up... i don't recommend it. you really have to move around a lot when quilting on it. some people use a saddle seat rolling chair. the pantographs would lay on the 'table' that is underneath the carriage. mine came with a groovy board [pattern] and i usually had it turned over for a smooth table. i never really used the groovy board patterns... but had to cut the two pieces shorter to fit my 9.5'. i was very happy with it, but sold it with my entire set up when i moved from minnesota. i made my own leaders from non-tear poly fabric... worked great. HTH
Old 06-19-2015, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

Are you sure you want to purchase something you haven't been able to test drive?
Old 06-19-2015, 05:47 AM

Thank you, Nan. I know someone on another board who has this machine and thinks highly of it, but the frame is a complete mystery to me.

Dunster -- It isn't the best situation, I agree. Unfortunately, I'm in a very rural area. The only way to test drive this machine would entail flying from Texas to Iowa -- not feasible for a $1200.00 machine and frame. Anything I get in my price range will be sight unseen. At least with this one, Nolting thoroughly checks it out and stands behind it.

The other machines/ frames I've found are many thousands of $$. My top limit is $1500.00.

I first thought about putting my Brother PQ1500s on a frame, but from what I've read on here and other places the quilting area gets very small towards the end of the quilt. Plus the only knock-down frame I can find is the Hinterberg and it is $999.00 plus shipping, and I'm not up to building my own from plans on the internet.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:32 AM

I bought a used longarm from nolting in Iowa also and they are very easy to work with and I would trust them. It sounds like to me if you want it you should go for it, you may have to make some adjustments for your own use of this frame but for the price it sounds like a good deal
Old 06-19-2015, 10:04 AM

My answers are below in blue.

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I am considering purchasing a used short/midarm machine and Hinterberg frame. The machine is a Singer A-1 that has an 11" harp. It will come from Nolting and be fully checked out before it is delivered.

I'm hoping someone here might have this frame and could answer a few questions. The only pictures I can find on the internet only show the front.
1. The description (see link below) mentions pantographs, but I can't see a table on the frame. Does it come with one or is that something I will add along with the rails? Where the wire thing is pointing down to the blue tape at the back of the machine is where you put your pantographs. That is a table. They've got it set up to do wooden pantos. I turned these boards over so the surface is smooth.
2. The description states this can be taken down and put back up in minutes. After the initial setup, is it easy to put up? I will be moving to smaller quarters in the next year, so I can't have a frame that has to stay up all the time. I can take mine down in about 30 minutes, put it up in 30 minutes
3. One description I read states this is a sit-down frame, but according to the website it is adjustable between 32" and 46". Can this be used standing up on the high position? I really can't imagine sitting down when quilting an 8-9' span without having to start and stop the machine a lot when moving the chair. Yes, you can stand. That's what most people do. It has adjustments on the legs to raise it higher or lower.
4. How do you attach the cloth leaders to the EMT? And since their cloth leaders are so expensive, can I make my own using lightweight canvas? They are attached with duct tape. Mine have been attached for 6 years without problems. I'm sure you can make your own leaders, just Google it. I've never had a problem with the conduit bending over time, and the "smoothness" of the frame has never been a bother to me. I don't use the wood - I use the metal frames. It basically comes "unfinished", ready for you to apply your own stain or varnish. Which I've never done.
5. The price of the machine/ frame combo is $1200.00 delivered. That seems like a good price to me, but wonder what others think? I have no idea about cost, so can't help you there.
Here's the link to the frame: http://www.hinterberg.com/stretchframe.aspx
Here's a pic of the machine on a different frame:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]522793[/ATTACH]
Old 06-19-2015, 04:15 PM
KLO

I made my own cloth leaders for a different frame but same idea. I would suggest getting a pillow ticking fabric (you know, the kind with strips in the fabric) as it makes it easier to keep them straight while cutting, sewing, and mounting. I'll bet you are excited and will end up loving the set-up!

Check this out:

http://www.justsewolivia.com/2012/09...r-longarm.html

That's the kind of fabric I used.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:52 PM

Thank you everyone for your input, advice, cautions, and everything else! I talked at length with the rep at Nolting this afternoon and decided to go ahead with the purchase. As much as I'd love a machine with a larger harp, this one is within my budget. It will take 2 - 3 weeks to get it, so in the meantime, I'll have time to clear out space for her.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:16 PM

Nolting is a fantastic company to work with. We traded a old Voyager machine for a Fun Quilter which would fit our Hinterberg frame. Later we ungraded to a metal frame and love it. It is so much more stable. If you have any problems Nollting folks can and will help you with anything, just call. My DH called them many times with problems and they solved them over the phone.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:04 AM

I purchased a gently used Voyager 17" on a Hinty stretch frame ... paid $1200.

I made my own leaders using pillow ticking because the stripes are woven (not printed) and therefore straight. Just DON'T pre-wash it as that can mess with the straightness. I also attached zippers to both the top and bottom leaders and I load my quilt back onto the zippers. I attached my leaders to the poles by first drawing a straight line across the poles, then attaching the leaders with small dabs of duct tape making sure it was straight all the way, then laid down a long line of duct tape across all the small dabs of tape.

I can't speak to how long it took to set up because my husband surprised me by setting it up for me (by himself). He had ZERO idea how to do it, but he's an engineer and figured it out.

One word of advice ... after you set the frame up and set the machine on it, let it "settle" for 24 to 48 hours (longer if set up on a carpeted area). The use your machine to make sure it's level front-to-back and left-to-right. By "using the machine" I mean if you pull the machine in any direction, you shouldn't feel a "drag" and if you let the handles go the machine should STAY PUT ... it shouldn't roll on it's own in any direction.