View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 06:02 AM
Sewnoma

I don't label my quilts. I've bought stuff to make labels, even designed some on Spoonflower and ordered samples...but when it comes time to do it...I just don't.

I've thought about it, and I have come to the conclusion that I just don't like labels!

I don't label anything else I make. When I make a stuffed animal or a wall hanging or a sculpture or a painting or a throw pillow, I don't stick a label on it saying when it was made, who it was made for, what year, what city....nope. I just make it and give it. I don't even usually sign paintings or drawings - only time I have that I can think of is when it was something for a class that had to be handed in. I HAVE scribbled messages to the recipient on the backs of things like canvases before, but nothing formal like a label, more like a casual note. If I have a special message I want to accompany something I've made, I make a little card or tag I can pin or tie onto the item with a bit of yarn.

It's not that I don't think I'm an artist (I do) or that I'm not proud of my work (I am)...I just don't like labels on my creations.

I don't necessarily dislike labels on OTHER people's quilts - not trying to say other people shouldn't label their stuff all they like or that there's anything wrong with it. I just don't really like them on my stuff. Personal preference.

I think maybe if I were shipping a quilt off to be in a show, I might label it so it wouldn't get lost. But I'd probably try to make it something I could remove later. And I don't really foresee myself doing that anyway - my quilts are more "drag around and make forts out of it" type quilts rather than show quilts.