Old 06-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Peckish

WHAT DUNSTER SAID!!!!

Word-of-mouth recommendations are important to me, but I also ask to see the work itself. My neighbor may think the quilting is beautiful, but I may want something more complex, or more specialized, or more "modern", etc.

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
i've read here on the board about quite a few mishaps and i wonder how does this happen?
Personally, I think it happens because people assume longarmers, because they're longarmers, have the same skill sets, and maybe it doesn't occur to people to ask for references or to see samples. I've seen it happen in my quilting group many times. Someone found an "affordable" longarmer and gave her a try, only to learn the hard way that there's a reason why she's affordable - she's brand new and hasn't got her tension issues worked out yet! Another member made a gorgeous red, white, and blue top. She took it to a longarmer and said "Quilt it as you wish with something patriotic." Well, the LAer quilted it with a tulip panto. The quilt maker was furious because tulips didn't seem patriotic to her. The LAer was a quilter, but that doesn't mean she has the same artistic sense that my acquaintance does.

Ask lots of questions, get lots of personal recommendations, and look at lots of the LAer's work. If she refuses or gets upset, move on. There are plenty of good LAers out there who will happily play show-n-tell.