Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you choose a longarmer by word of mouth? >

Do you choose a longarmer by word of mouth?

Do you choose a longarmer by word of mouth?

Old 06-26-2015, 01:45 PM

I went to a local quilt show and chose my LA by her work. It is a way to see his/her finished project.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:46 AM

If you pick someone from word of mouth, just remember The quilter I use and really like may not do the quilting you would like. Everyone is different. I really believe you need to see work that is done for several different people and different quilts. A quilter could do great work on one quilt pattern and really not do a job that will make another quilt top look they way you would like too. You may have to use several quilter to get the look you want on everyone of your quilts. An remember if you have a problem with the work done by your long arm quilter talk to THEM about it, not just sit and stew or take to others about the quilting.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:15 AM

I use 2 longarmers alternately. They are both close to my home and do excellent work.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:45 AM

I chose one because someone recommended her to me and the price was right. I took one to her and it turned out great and so I kept sending them to her before I bought my own long arm.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:51 AM

I've used two longarmers who were recommended by my LQS. The first is local, inexpensive and great for edge to edge quilting. The second was a two hour drive, and did a fabulous (but not inexpensive) custom job on my daughter's DWR. Each of these women have their strengths, and I would hire either again, depending upon the needs of the quilt. I love Bonnie Hunter's quilts, but custom quilting would be lost in them - those would go to the local lady. If I ever finish my Judy Neimeyer Feathered Star, I will probably be talking to the custom quilter.

BTW, I did send one quilt to Missouri Star Quilt Company, and was very pleased with the results, but it did take several weeks longer than they initially said it would to get it back. Good thing I wasn't on a deadline.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I've have spoken to a couple LAers here and they talk weeks of getting to it much less getting it back and they do it there way with there patterns they choose fit. So I know I won't be using those gals. When I went to the ones house who has a shop in the back, she had a kitty door. That wouldn't work with the quilts that were piled in open boxes with couple cats sitting where they wanted. Flat out told her didn't want the to take the chance of my quilt smelling like cat. I will be sending mine to a family friend who lives far away on the other side of the Gulf. She has no pets and is a stickler on getting her quilts in and out and has won many awards. I have seen her quilts with the stitching up close. She quilts the way her customers want her to quilt. She lets it be known what the dos and don'ts are and that works for me. She has the highest respect for anyone's quilt. I have seen it. She also travels but lets you know whether or not she will take it as it might sit til she gets back. Leaves that to your discretion but really doesn't like having someone else's work sitting in her house when she's not there.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:23 AM

I got lucky in that the first one I met when I needed one, was a member of our local guild, and a true "Stitch Artist" her work is easily the equal of Charisma on this board, and a mile and a half away. She even picks up and delivers!
Old 06-27-2015, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

I think it happens due to poor communication. If you want custom quilting and the only thing your LA can do is pantos, then there is a disconnect. If you want a basic overall pattern and the LA branches into custom work (and charges accordingly) there is a disconnect.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:40 AM

I do word of mouth, but I've also used and seen some wonderful work on here. Charisma and Harriet are two I know of off hand. But there are probably some more on here that people have used. It's always nice to see their work first. I had one that I ended up doing a stitch-in-the-ditch because she did very little quilting on it. (That was no one on here)