Thread: Passing It On
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 11:31 PM
nellebelles

My mother and sister both quilt, and my 8 year old granddaughter would love to learn. She spends the time at my home going through my stash and planning out quilts she wants to make. She also designs quilts on pieces of paper, and is very clever with her instructions. She has great abbreviations for the colors in the quilt, too. She has a little notebook that she keeps her designs in, and when I see her, she rips them out and gives them to me to keep. I had a recent foot surgery and so wasn't able to get down to the sewing room for the last few months. DH is newly diagnosed with leukemia and will be starting chemotherapy soon, so it's not likely I will get to spend much time with her, teaching her to quilt, not for awhile anyway.. My daughter, her mother, isn't really interested in learning to quilt--at least not yet. My GD, Emily, has her own little sewing machine, but doesn't know how to use it. My youngest daughter might be more interested in quilting someday too, once her baby is a bit older. My oldest son made quilted potholders when he was in highschool, and he did a fantastic job! My DH has learned to quilt in the last year or so--and I think he does a better job at some things than I do.