Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Passing It On

How many of you have passed on your love of quilting or just plain sewing. I taught all of my kids the basics, but NONE of them sew or quilt. I don't think my only daughter even owns a needle & thread :roll: But then she has me fairly close, so that may be why! They are all crafty, just in different ways. I am now teaching my 12 year old grandson to sew. Maybe I was to stringent with "DON'T TOUCH MY SEWING MACHINE" when they were little :oops: :oops:

DD has just caught the quilting/sewing bug. She just made GS some fleece pj bottoms. Other DD made pillows for Christmas gifts (I took her a machine when I visited in Oct.).

Newest DIL made 2 quilts last year and stockings. This year, took a break for her wedding. She'll be back to it soon.

My newest DIL (not until June) already sewed but learned to quilt this past fall (she didn't want me to sew, just help her through).

Last, other DD is waiting for me to take a machine I had given to me to get a "check up" and she'll start sewing.

Other DD- not a speck of "handiness" in that body. I'm sure she could if she wanted, but it is HIGH on the refuse to learn list.

My boys took "home wreck" in high school and know their way about a machine. Oldest helped me make a quilt for his fiance about 2 years ago. Other son helps me with color choice and block placement- he's very good at this. He also is my thread trimmer and fuzzy picker. :) Stepson- has an interest in terms of appreciating what his wife has learned, but I don't think I will see him near a machine.

Wow, we are a quilting family, I guess.

I have taught my son's ex girlfriend and also a friend of my daughters. None of my 3 girls are interested at this point. I hope someday they will want to learn how to quilt as well!

Blog Entries
    Nope, that's why I have you. lol

I was just thinking of teaching my four year old niece to sew. I saw two different sets of the old time sewing cards that you use a big needle and yarn. They have nursery rhyme pictures on them with big holes. (Anyone remember these?) I am getting them for her for valentines day.

I taught my friend's granddaughter when she was in first grade and she still sews to this day. She even has taught her step sisters.

I taught my friend dara to piece quilts and to crochet some fifteen years ago. She still does it when she has time. She is in studying to be a doctor now.

I even taught my sons these things too. Although only one of them even stayed into art. They still know how to sew on thier buttons by themselves, or repair a tear.

Oldest daughter quilts. Youngest daughter does cross stitch, and both daughters needlepoint. Growing up they always saw me working on something, and I started them young. As soon as they could see the sewing machine and have their feet touch the petal at the same time, they were given the chance if they wanted to try.

I taught my 6 year old granddaughter to sew But she can't do it often as she is 400 miles away and My 5 year old grandson also made a pillow and quilt for his little brother. I have taught tatting,crocheting and knitting to people also.

Blog Entries
    My mother sewed when I was young but I never got the hang of it and lost interest. Now that I'm leaning how to quilt and sew I am helping my 11 yr old daughter to learn. She made 3 mini quilts for xmas gifts so far. When I get her her own machine, I hope she will continue and eventually pass it on to her children.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    Oldest daughter quilts. Youngest daughter does cross stitch, and both daughters needlepoint. Growing up they always saw me working on something, and I started them young. As soon as they could see the sewing machine and have their feet touch the petal at the same time, they were given the chance if they wanted to try.
    My kids always saw me doing all of that, too. I tried to interest all or any of them, but no dice. My daughter would rather pick up a hammer than a needle :roll: But that's who she is, so I accept it and hope her boys will want to learn. Maybe in my family it will just skip a generation :lol:

My son has no interest, but his ex wife had me teach her some, and this past year my daughter(who is a seabee in the navy) asked if I had an extra machine. I didn't want to give up one of mine, so I bought her one for Christmas. She used mine while home on leave last spring, so she has the basics. I hope she wants to learn more!!!!!

south east ND. 60 miles from MN and 25 from SD
    I'd love for the girls in my family to follow in my footsteps but doubt it will happen. DD Lyn and I were talking the other day and she said the evenings are sure long sometimes with John out on the road and I suggested she make a lap robe or something and she told me she isn't old enough to start quilting!!!!!!!!! I'd of smacked her along side the head if she'd been close enough!!!! lol My GD, Skyler, made a t-shirt quilt in home-ec or whatever they call it nowdays and seemed to enjoy it so maybe... DIL, Mary, has no interest whatsoever in doing anything crafty and neither do GD's, Courtney or Christen. So guess when Lyn gets "old", there might be some hope there. And hopefully, I'll still be around and in my right mind so I can help her get started.

None of my kids sew.

Maybe it skips a generation. My wonderful grandmother was a knitter/sewist/crocheter/general crafter extraordinaire and not one of her four daughters picked it up. But her grandchildren are making up for it. I hope your grandson catches the bug. ;)

I didn't start quilting or sewing until I was in my 30's so don't give up. I was the one to get my mom hooked on quilting. I used to only do needle work like cross stitch. I still don't know how to knit or crochet.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My 17 year old daughter occaisionally sews. She has mostly made clothes for herself. Simple things like flannel pants, a few tops, and rod pocket curtains for her bathroom. I don't think she loves to sew, but she does know how.

My oldest son had to take Home Ec in 7th grade. (The school has since stopped teaching Home Ec.) He made a really, really bad sweatshirt. Either the teacher was terrible or the boy is handicapped in some what I've never noticed. He also had to hand sew a pillow. At some point, he stabbed his finger and bled a eraser sized spot on the fabric. So what did he do? He put spots and antannae on it with a Sharpie and called it a ladybug! :shock:

My 14 year old son has to restrain himself from taking my machine apart. He just cant stand knowing there are gears and cool stuff in there that he can't see. I don't think he is going to be a quilter but maybe a repairman.

Banned
    I'm so happy my daughter is finally showing an interest and have purchased her a nice sewing machine. I also gave permission for her to go to the quilt shop I bought it from and use my CC (within reason). I'm so thankful for her interest.
    I was really worried about all of my stash when I die!!!!
    Now I know she will appreciate it. :)

My many family members back home in La. are all wanting me to make them quilts since I've made my aunts one. I have decided that I will do them a favor and not make them one.
    I am going to try to get home in the spring and bring my sewing machine and teach them to quilt! What is that saying, give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he'll .....

Up until Christmas vacation this year my daughter, 18 and in college, would not be caught fixing anything. Even a button.. you do it.. you do it better (good trick that one). This year she said teach me to sew.. started on pot holders. Fell in love with it. Now three weeks later? she called two days ago excited. She got her first quilt for kids project in the mail and promises to call and ask me everything she might need to know. Simple good easy starting project but she will feel like a million bucks when she is done. THEN the bug has been passed on. First thing she said was its KITTY fabric mom! and then.. send me more fabric mom. That won't happen. She raided my stash already before she left. Soon I will be saying.. send me some kiddo!

Quote Originally Posted by Honey
    How many of you have passed on your love of quilting or just plain sewing. I taught all of my kids the basics, but NONE of them sew or quilt. I don't think my only daughter even owns a needle & thread :roll: But then she has me fairly close, so that may be why! They are all crafty, just in different ways. I am now teaching my 12 year old grandson to sew. Maybe I was to stringent with "DON'T TOUCH MY SEWING MACHINE" when they were little :oops: :oops:
    My two daughters show no interest in sewing or quilting. My younger daughter can sew on a button, but not much more. My sons...nope. Of course, out of 8 children, I am the only one of my brothers and sisters who inherited the sewing/crafting/quilting bug from my Mom. I take that back, my oldest sister quilts (and is quite impressive!) Sorry, Kim. :O)

My kids always wanted to do what I was doing. I taught all 4 kids how to crochet - my sons don't crochet now, but they knew how once. My oldest DD doesn't have the patience for crochet or sewing.

My youngest DD learned to crochet at the age of 3 - she is very good at it - reads patterns and has great color sense. Youngest DD learned basic sewing in a home ec class in 9th grade and this year during her break from college asked to work on a Quilt for Kids kit that I had here but hadn't started yet. She enjoyed it and did a good job on it. She has the basic skills - so I think when she gets older she will continue to quilt.

Blog Entries
    I taught my girls how to crochet basic stitches, use a sewing machine, how to crossstitch, and how to embroider. They don't do any of it now but both are into scrapbooking. That's one craft I have no desire to do.

Blog Entries
    Both of my DD's showed no interest in sewing, while growing up. But older one has now purchased a sewing machine and is 'learning'. Younger (who is closer) still uses me to do her mending.

I have taught the closest grands how to do some basic sewing/quilting.

Oldest DGD was spending the night (she was 7 at the time). She wanted to make a quilt and enter it in the local fair. Her experience at that point was a few straight lines at the machine. Well, grammy does some talking and thinking. I had her make two nine patches. Taught her about colors and what 'goes' together and 'feeling' the seams so they sit together nicely. Then 'we' turned those two nine patches into a pillow. She stuffed it and whipped stitched it closed. She was so proud of herself . . on fair day we go in hunting for her pillow ... BLUE RIBBON!! Two years later she still has the pillow.

I have one daughter that has cross stitched, crochet and is now quilting other, younger daughter cross stitched, finished 1 very small picture. My two GD ages almost 23 and 16 tell me they will not quilt. Oldest Daughter (their Aunt) says they may when they get older, both are still single.

Blog Entries
    I am it in my family :D:D:D I am hoping to some day find someone else who is interested!!!

I wish! DD said I can teach her children (someday-when she has any-sigh) because she isn't interested. She about knocked me over when she took up knitting. She only wanted to try it because I had taught her roommate. DD has decided to do some scrap booking too. She was never one to sit and do activities when there was something more fun-like jumping out of planes or para-sailing...I guess she got an adventure gene instead of a crafty one :lol:

I would LIKE to pass it on... but the younger generation has too short an attention span. At least, in my family...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast