Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Passing It On

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    My grandmother was a milliner. I understand that she and I have a lot in common - too bad she died when I was 2. Unfortunately, she was the most picky hand-crafter and she totally ruined my Mom's interest in it. Mom couldn't understand it when I started to teach myself handcrafts (knitting, embroidery) as a teenager and then of course quilting as an adult. I think grandma would be quite proud of me. (Although I would have to teach her that there is a reason it's called the back side and no, it does not need to be perfect on the back side)
    When my Grandmother tried to teach me to embroider she would make me rip it out if the back didn't look as good as the front :thumbdown: I didn't pick it up again until I had kids of my own. Now I try to keep the back neat, but if I don't, oh well :oops: I do it for relaxation and to keep my hands nimble :lol:

Blog Entries
    This one is fun for me to answer:

1. Taught my husband, and he was sewing beside me tonight.
    2. Taught my mom, and she and I spent last Saturday in the sewing room.
    3. Taught ladies at church with my friend AZAM, and we have sent over 30 quilts to a pediatric hospice in southern CA.
    4. Taught my 9 year old Grandaughter, and she is now on her 2nd quilt.
    5. Taught my 17 year old Grandaughter the basics for her first quilt, and I know we will be doing more.
    6. Taught my daughter's teenaged sister-in-law how to quilt, and now she has made about 5 for herself and family members.

Now I am getting ready to start a new quilting class at our new church....so, the passing on is going on and on!!!

I am so happy to do this..it is just a really special thing. :thumbup:

I asked my niece when she was 8.5 (she'll be 10 in June) if she wanted to learn and she did. Her scrappy squares are all together and next is the borders. Even her 4.5 YOA brother wanted to "help". She is very into everything CRAFT! My sister got her her own sewing machine for Christmas.

Kyia

I have only been quilting for a few years. But I have always sewn . It seems now that my youngest daughter that is 33 wants to learn to quilt from me. The problem is she lives in Nevada and I am in Texas. When I visit her I always visit the quiltshops there and I tell her to go to one and ask if they will help her get started or see if there is a guild that will help her. But I have a feeling she would rather learn from me.

Quote Originally Posted by jigsymom
    I have only been quilting for a few years. But I have always sewn . It seems now that my youngest daughter that is 33 wants to learn to quilt from me. The problem is she lives in Nevada and I am in Texas. When I visit her I always visit the quiltshops there and I tell her to go to one and ask if they will help her get started or see if there is a guild that will help her. But I have a feeling she would rather learn from me.
    Tell her to take a beginning quilter class from one of the shops. She will learn the basics. Then when you visit you can quilt together and you can teach her the finer points.

I have sugested that to her in the past. Maybe our next visit when we are shopping I will ask at the shop about beginning classes. Maybe if I ask for her she will do it.
    Course I know she would rather learn from me. lol

My son likes sewing. Neither of my girls want to have anything to do with it. My DGD (who lives with me) is my quilting buddy. She loves to sew and can't wait to go to the fabric store with me.

My grandmother taught me to sew when I was a little girl my older sister and I go to quilt classes now and have so much fun . My Daughter had no interest in sewing when she was little and about 16 yrs ago on Christmas day she had a miscarriage and was so depressed I went to stay with her and while I was there taught her to make quillows and she was hooked We go to the Martha Pullen Sewing Conference in Arlington Tx every year. My granddaugher who is 18 comes over when she wants me to help her make something . When she was little she was always in my sewing room maybe someday she will be interested in sewing more

I learned to sew as a child - no foot pedal, a knee control, so I did not have to reach the floor to sew! My mother taught me clothing construction, not quilting. I learned to quilt as an adult.

I have been teaching others - not all in my family. I tried to teach my DDs, but it did not 'take'. One decided she had no time, the other decided directions were not for her - she sewed when I was not at home, and followed no rules, creating a lot of interesting items that were not wearable or altering clothing to that same point. My first DD has decided she now has the time, and is workiing on a bargello.

I have been teaching some of the ladies in a quilt block exchange.

It is rewarding to be able to pass on the fun!

Blog Entries
    That is great, It's alway rewarding when you can pass on your knowledge.

Cookie

I am passing it on to an 8 year old who has recently come forward with abuse by a relative. He has confessed to 88 counts. Her mother (a co-worker) knew I quilted and thought this would keep her mind off the bad and focused on the good. It has been wonderful therapy for her. She is doing great and I have fallen in love with her. What a strong little girl she is. She is now ready to go back to school for the first time since Thanksgiving. The story has been all over the news and in the papers here. Of course her name was never used but his was and she is a little scared her classmates might know what happened to her. We have all assured her she has done nothing wrong and that she needs to focus on what a wonderful future she has ahead. Her older sister (12)is gong to join us in the sewing room this summer. God has surely Blessed me with this family.

That is such a touching story She is so lucky to have you . Sewing is great therapy . When my daughter lost her baby 16yrs ago teaching her to sew got us both though it and made us closer

Blog Entries
    Connie1948, that is a great thing that you have done, I thank god for keeping my gd safe, they have loving families but we never know what is going to happen to them. I know this little girl is in a safe place now because of you.

Cookie

My boys grew up watching me sew for our bread and butter. My eldest took sewing in school...made himself bright neon green shorts!!! He has the basics, but no interest to do more. Middle son never took an interest. The youngest made himself a bright red Zoot suit for his HS graduation!!! Unfortunately, he loaned it to a friend to wear to his grad, and never got it back. :( He is the only one that owns a sewing machine. He can, and does, sew for himself occasionally, but so far has not expressed any interest in quilting. My grandbabies are too far away for me to have much influence yet....I only see them about once a year. Even tho' I talk on the phone with my DGS, I think he thinks he is talking with the gramma that lives closer. DGD is about old enough now that I will start getting her on the phone too. My son just got a new computer with a built in webcam, so hopefully we can connect that way now too.

Patti

I taught my oldest son to sew when he was in jr. high. He made a few things, now only to mend something. He also learned to crosstitch and he made me a beautiful fall picture, with a quilt on it. Neither of my other two wanted to do anything with a sewing machine. They both did some small christmas crosstitch and my daughter enjoys simple knitting. I keep thinking some day she might want to learn. My mother hated sewing, and I loved it from the time I could hold a needle.

I have taught both my girls and several of their friends. For a while when they moved away they had no interest in anything domestic, but now they are coming back to their roots. The oldest crochets (and makes her own patterns) and the youngest wants a sewing machine for her birthday.

I taught my sister quilting, also my DD and now I am teaching my 10 year old GD to quilt. I love teaching. I have taught a paper piecing class at a sewing machine shop. Most of the people there were clothing sewers, but I think I converted a few of them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3