Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Passing It On >

Passing It On

Passing It On

Old 01-19-2010, 06:48 AM

I am passing it on to an 8 year old who has recently come forward with abuse by a relative. He has confessed to 88 counts. Her mother (a co-worker) knew I quilted and thought this would keep her mind off the bad and focused on the good. It has been wonderful therapy for her. She is doing great and I have fallen in love with her. What a strong little girl she is. She is now ready to go back to school for the first time since Thanksgiving. The story has been all over the news and in the papers here. Of course her name was never used but his was and she is a little scared her classmates might know what happened to her. We have all assured her she has done nothing wrong and that she needs to focus on what a wonderful future she has ahead. Her older sister (12)is gong to join us in the sewing room this summer. God has surely Blessed me with this family.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:53 AM

That is such a touching story She is so lucky to have you . Sewing is great therapy . When my daughter lost her baby 16yrs ago teaching her to sew got us both though it and made us closer
Old 01-19-2010, 07:58 AM

Connie1948, that is a great thing that you have done, I thank god for keeping my gd safe, they have loving families but we never know what is going to happen to them. I know this little girl is in a safe place now because of you.

Cookie
Old 02-06-2010, 01:12 PM

My boys grew up watching me sew for our bread and butter. My eldest took sewing in school...made himself bright neon green shorts!!! He has the basics, but no interest to do more. Middle son never took an interest. The youngest made himself a bright red Zoot suit for his HS graduation!!! Unfortunately, he loaned it to a friend to wear to his grad, and never got it back. :( He is the only one that owns a sewing machine. He can, and does, sew for himself occasionally, but so far has not expressed any interest in quilting. My grandbabies are too far away for me to have much influence yet....I only see them about once a year. Even tho' I talk on the phone with my DGS, I think he thinks he is talking with the gramma that lives closer. DGD is about old enough now that I will start getting her on the phone too. My son just got a new computer with a built in webcam, so hopefully we can connect that way now too.

Patti
Old 02-06-2010, 02:53 PM

I taught my oldest son to sew when he was in jr. high. He made a few things, now only to mend something. He also learned to crosstitch and he made me a beautiful fall picture, with a quilt on it. Neither of my other two wanted to do anything with a sewing machine. They both did some small christmas crosstitch and my daughter enjoys simple knitting. I keep thinking some day she might want to learn. My mother hated sewing, and I loved it from the time I could hold a needle.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:05 PM

I have taught both my girls and several of their friends. For a while when they moved away they had no interest in anything domestic, but now they are coming back to their roots. The oldest crochets (and makes her own patterns) and the youngest wants a sewing machine for her birthday.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 PM

I taught my sister quilting, also my DD and now I am teaching my 10 year old GD to quilt. I love teaching. I have taught a paper piecing class at a sewing machine shop. Most of the people there were clothing sewers, but I think I converted a few of them.