View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 05:38 AM
OurWorkbench

VERSATILE BASEBOARD

I haven't posted anything in several days. I've been busy testing the baseboard made previously in this thread. It is intended principally for Singers, but many kinds of machines will fit in this baseboard. I've tested fourteen machines so far and have many more to go. These were just the ones easy to get to.

(Machines Tested)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523931[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523932[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523934[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523935[/ATTACH]

A picture of the few modifications I had to make to the baseboard are shown below. It can be compared to the picture of it shown earlier in this thread. It just happened that the first machine was a Singer 201-2. Within minutes I was back out to the garage to cut an easement for a thicker bed around the bobbin plate area. If any other machines are like this, and I suspect there are some, they can share this provision.

Most machines slipped right in with no problem. Even a Kenmore 148 fits fine. (Some Kenmores have different corners and dimensions) The Singer 301 short bed required a small notch so that the bed extension could be raised and lowered while in the stand. It needed just a little clearance for the back of the hinge in front.

The largest modification was made for a Necchi Supernova along the right edge. It has an electrical housing underneath that extends right up to the edge. I might also suspect that there could be other machines which have similar requirements along the right hand edge. This can accommodate that.

(Baseboard Changes)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523936[/ATTACH]

You may see that the inner edges are pretty rough. Admittedly they are quick and dirty cuts with a jigsaw. This is a test and modify board, so I will remake it using a router and a template once I have it defined. Then the inner edge will be sharp and crisp, as the outer edge of the cutout is here.

Also, I am working on the locking mechanism details. I hope to have it posted soon.

John
Attached Thumbnails machines1.jpg   machines2.jpg   machines3.jpg   machines4.jpg   baseboardadjustments.jpg