View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 11:47 AM
skacian

Originally Posted by nanabirdmo
i just finished snipping this faux chenille reversable. if i ever think about making another i hope someone will remind me that it isn't as much fun as it seems like it should be. imagine how many layers of flannel are at every intersection. 3 layers for the front and one for the back. when four blocks touch that is a lot of fabric for my poor machine to labor thru. it was worse than the denim i recently made. i only broke 1 needle but it was shattered and deformed so badly i thought i would probably have to take my machine in for repair. but it seems to be okay.
i saw this made on KAY'S QUILTING FRIENDS. they went on and on about how much fun it was. well.....sort of.
i am anxious to see it after the laundry. i don't wash these rag quilts in my home machine as i am on septic and don't want to take any chances. i will post another pic after it "blooms" in the wash. i guess that's what they call the chenille appearance. the hearts are sewn 1/4 inch in from the raw edge then clipped.
i might add that this quilt took almost 2 full spools of thread and several prewound bobbins. that and the many yards of flannel, which i got at a deep discount, but still, add up to a pretty expensive project.
i am rambling but haven't seen much mention of faux chenille on the board so thought i'd give the unsuspecting a heads up.
Still waiting to see the finished product! I have a book of patterns, and this is on my to-do list. I appreciate your tips. You did a great job!