View Single Post
Old 07-01-2015, 01:59 PM
Jo Belmont

First of all, I would nix the checkbook covers. So many folks now use online banking that writing checks is becoming a thing of the past. I don't even carry my checkbook any more and have been in the same book of checks for two years now. Credit card holders are another thing; they do well.

Always have lesser-priced items available. Some folks just want to buy "something" and the lesser-priced token items fill the bill.

On the other hand, I have found that pre-made baskets or quilted containers full of small-item gifts work well. Wrap them up in clear, colored cellophane with a bow. Designs, uses include Good-Neighbor/Welcome Neighbor baskets; Bridal Shower baskets; Baby Shower baskets; Kitchen Baskets; Fellow-sewer baskets --- all of these present quite nicely and look very festive in a display. Place some placards here and there describing the contents of each. You can price them from $20 on up. Depending on the inclusion (or not) of a quilt in any size, the price could easily exceed $100 and, yes, they do sell. Best to leave the quilt as a base to the basket, attached with a ribbon, so that the quilt can be viewed in full layout. It makes a very special presentation.

Also include information on your business and solicit the email address of folks who purchase from you so you can keep them advised of your next showing. Often they are surprised how pleased their gift recipients are with the gift and wish to purchase again, often at an increased price.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how you do and what sold well for you in your area. Good luck!