View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 05:11 PM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
When it rains it pours with invitations lately. My husband has been asked to officiate at 2 weddings this summer. He was very honored to be asked. He is not a minister but was one of the youth leaders at the church and both girls came up thru the youth group. In CA you have to register and pay a fee for a one ceremony - it was $80.00 and the couple paid for it because that is less they would pay for a minister and church. The other couple lives 1300 miles away, expect him to pay for the plane trip, hotel, rental car and the $40.00 to become a minister on-line. I was rather upset because I believe they could at least provide him a place to stay for the weekend. At first it was the bride's mother had rented a house and asked him to contribute $125.00 for the weekend - but then someone else wants to stay there so my husband has to go to a hotel. And my husband has recently lost a lot of weight, so we have another $200.00 cost for alterations to his suit. And yes, they had the audacity to send a note stating where they are registered. Not to mention they are already living together and have a child so want to go on a trip. I mentioned to my husband I believe we have spent enough on this union and was ultra surprised when he agreed.

My husband has been joking about the on-line minister deal - guess it is legal in a lot of states. Told him it is crap and he knows it. The minister is our church helped him with the wording of his part, but said he agreed with me. There is a lot of education to be an ordained minister and to buy it on the internet is just wrong.
He agreed to do the second one???????????????????