Old 07-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Bree123

Yes, for several reasons:
1) I mark my quilts, so I need to get out the marking lines.
2) I want to remove as many allergens as possible, especially since I make baby quilts
3) I love the crinkly look that comes from washing
4) It helps to be able to tell the recipient that it really is okay to wash the quilt every week because I already washed it twice before giving it to them & it is just fine. The applique will not fall off with washing (a fair number of people believe that will happen when they get their first quilt) and the quilt will not shrink up ... provided they follow the same procedure I did. (Cold Water, no Clorox/Clorox 2, Low heat)

If you made a special quilt for someone, why not put a quilt tag on the back so they know it's just for them? I put their name, my name, the date given, a little note & basic wash instructions on my quilt tags. For the quilt I'm making for my 3 year old niece, I'm also putting together a mini scrapbook showing the process of me making her quilt (marking lines, applique work - front & back of quilt top photos, piecing, quilting, etc. with little notes along the way). It is something she can keep to share with her own children some day and hopefully may be something she will look back on when she starts quilting herself. She loves hearing stories about how my quilts are made & asking me 5,000 questions about every single notion, thread & piece of fabric I own. It is adorable & I love it. This is a way to memorialize that time together and it's proof to anyone who doubts that this is a new quilt that I actually made myself.