Thread: Wool fabrics
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 06:10 PM
Bree123

Default Wool fabrics

I have a quick pattern for a baby quilt that I am thinking of making for my brother/SIL who are expecting a little one in February.

It is a variation on this pattern: http://www.desireesdesigns.com/shop/Patterns/Baby-Patterns/p/Bees-Bunnies-and-Bears-x3160110.htm

I am taking a wool applique class at my LQS next month & am really excited to put my new skills to work. My only concern is whether the wool fabric will wash okay. I figure my best bet is to try & make the entire thing out of wool (piecing, applique, batting), but I honestly don't know. I know Hobb's has the washable wool batting that will hold up to the demands of a baby quilt. I'm just not sure about the fabrics. Does anyone have any experience with washing wool quilting fabrics? I think I would order Primitive Gatherings since their wools are colorfast and they are close enough for me to visit once. They even dye threads to match!

I really like that with cotton fabrics I can tell recipients that they can wash the quilt once a week for 20 years and it will hold up (based on cotton fabric studies involving the density of quilting I use). I know that in general wool fabric is hardier than cotton, but I worry about the laundering. I always recommend that recipients wash quilts in cold water on gentle/hand wash cycle, no bleach, tumble dry on low heat. If that would work with wool fabrics, I would be soooooo happy!

Please advise! Thanks!!!