Old 07-19-2015, 08:07 AM
MaryTG

An update: the Singer 66 that I picked up yesterday is in excellent shape. Other than needing a new cord and a new rubber bobbin ring, it seems to be totally functional. Without the drive band installed, I can't be absolutely positive, but I did thread the machine and put in a bobbin and turned the crank enough to make a few stitches. The cabinet sides and 7 drawers are in perfect condition, but not anything unusual in design. I have seen a lot more elaborate ones around, but since this is for sewing and not decor, that's fine with me. The top has round water rings in several places, but the veneer is not lifting. I am thinking of putting black laquer on the top and getting some gold powder to mix in with a sealing coat (gold only around the edges--thought it would complement the back and gold machine).

Getting the Spiegel's one tonight--I hope. While the seller has said she will drop it off, I am sure if she gets a higher offer while at the flea market she will sell it there and avoid the hassle of bringing it to me. Keep your fingers crossed for me.