Old 07-22-2015, 10:52 PM
ArchaicArcane

Default Best stitch to alter an compression stocking?

DH needs one of his custom made compression stockings narrowed - it's falling down his leg thus not so much compressing anymore.

The stocking has a seam that runs from the base of the foot to just above the knee. It's like a really firm densely woven control top pantyhose sort of fabric. I'm thinking of trying to measure how much needs to be taken in at various spots then cutting and stitching it back together.

Of course, it's "contents under pressure" - so the stitch needs to be strong. I'd initially thought a flatlock seam using my serger would be great - it looks similar to the original stitching - but both serger books I have say it's a decorative stitch. I suppose I could use a satin stitch, or something maybe a tiny bit longer than a satin stitch, but I worry about running and compromising the stocking.

Does anyone have another suggestion? Sending it back for alteration isn't an option and this one needs to last until September but it's the "nighttime" stocking rather than his daytime stocking, so there's a little leeway.