View Single Post
Old 08-07-2015, 06:15 AM
margecam52

Take your time purchasing gadgets. I started with an old Nustyle machine...green monster, think regulated was not a word that went with quilt machines when momma machine was made, lol.

I learned a lot from that old machine. Folks would ask how I kept the stitches so even...Practice, practice & a bit more practice.
It had a wide base (about 4")...and I got a no-frills ruler (7.00 usd). After a few months, I made myself an extended base from a piece of plexiglass I bought at a hardware store. I also used some of the extra leftover for making a long ruler. I used that to practice cross hatching. I then found the LineTamer from fourpaws quilting & paid about 22.00 for it. I love that ruler, mostly for it's bright green tint. It's an excellent took for stitch in the ditch...you line the center groove over the seam & there is no way to jiggle off line.

Pantos were about the only way to go with the non regulated machines. When I got the new machine (TL18LS)...I learned to use stitch regulation...and now go between both regulated & non regulated.

I've made an extended base for this machine also (about $13.00). I now have other rulers and templates. I added a Qbot V3 & that has eliminated the need for pantos.

When lining up pantos, I would put the needle where I wanted the next row of stitches to start stitching..roll the quilt & then adjust the stylus (later a laser light) so it was at the start of the panto...and that worked well for me.

Find what works for you. There are some great videos on youtube... Sharon Schamber; Jamie Wallen are two very helpful quilters. Also, find those for your machine and view those...I used to just search youtube for quilting or long arm quilting....and tons came up.

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
Thank you everyone for the input; I do not plan on buying much other than thread and the red snappers. I even decided to wait for the pro stitcher, I would rather learn to be proficient without it, but if all else fails and I am awful and need help of the robotics I will get it then. I got the HQ Fusion and I am so excited to learn!!!