Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm Question >

Long Arm Question

Long Arm Question

Old 08-05-2015, 09:44 AM

Default Long Arm Question

For those with a long arm, do you prefer pinning, red snappers, zippers or a different method of attaching your quilt to your long arm. I am waiting for a part for my new longarm and figured I would see what other like best. I can't imagine I would like pinning it to the leaders but who knows.

Also is there a good place to buy long arm supplies at??
Old 08-05-2015, 10:24 AM

I have been longarming for just over 15 years and still like pinning the backing to the leaders, basting the batting and quilt top to the backing, and attaching the lower portion of the quilt top with pins to the leader. My leaders are a heavy canvas to at first my fingers did get a little sore, but now that the leaders have softened up the pinning is quick and painless. I order Hobbs batting at wholesale prices directly from Waco, TX. I purchase thread and patterns from Linda's Electric Quilting, The Quilted Rose, Dallas Threads, Kingsmen Quilting, Sewthankful, Urban Elementz,Nustyle Quilting, Golden Threads and some others I can't recall at the moment.

Wishing you the best of the best of this great hobby and/or business!!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:32 AM

Previously we pinned onto the leaders, but after buying a different frame that had zippers we like it so much better. We find the quilts are so much easier to put on and seem to be more square on the frame.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:42 AM

I stapled for quite awhile then went back to pinning. you get to be very fast at whatever you do. here is a video showing stapling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF3Rr4KhTtg
Old 08-05-2015, 11:48 AM

I do not mind pinning at all. I am mainly a charity quilter so like to keep my expenses low. Don't go crazy buying rulers and other stuff at first. Sometimes people buy huge amounts of thread and never use half of it. Keep it simple and get really good at one thing first. I just free motion from the front of the machine. I cannot get behind mine so pantos are a no go. But I tried them once on a friends machine and did not like it. I had to go slow.

I use prewound bobbins from Superior and connecting Threads Essential Pro. Always great tension and no problems there either.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2016 at 10:22 AM. Reason: language
Old 08-05-2015, 11:55 AM

Red Snappers. Love them! I know they aren't for everyone, but they work great for me.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:47 PM

Red snappers. No more blood drawn pin pricks.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Red Snappers! I tried pinning and got stuck too many times. Tried Velcro and didn't like that much. Went to the Red Snappers and am forever happy.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:41 PM

I love my red snappers. They save my fingers and take so much less time to use.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:14 PM

Thank you everyone for the input; I do not plan on buying much other than thread and the red snappers. I even decided to wait for the pro stitcher, I would rather learn to be proficient without it, but if all else fails and I am awful and need help of the robotics I will get it then. I got the HQ Fusion and I am so excited to learn!!!