View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 08:11 PM
jlhmnj

Old thread but interesting question. The 2,4,5 represent the needle size that is specific to the needle manufacturer. Best to disregard and measure across the blade with digital caliper and reference mm to needle size (ie 14/90 is close to .90mm)

If you enjoy doing things the hard way like myself you can gather several old charts that list the manufacturers like Singer, New Home, White, Davis, W&W, Eldredge National, and others and the needle schemes they used. For instance a Singer size 14 needle is marked 1/2, Davis 0, Eldredge 4, New Home 0, W&W 4, White 0. This doesn't always work out depending on when and where the needles were made so best to double check with calipers.

Kevin Pinkerton's site is awesome for Boye Reference:

https://sites.google.com/site/kevinsstuff1/sewing-stuff

Jon

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
There are numbers (2, 4, 5) stamped into the shanks of the needles fresh out of the tube. Sometimes they are all the same, other times, they are mixed. What do they mean?

Also, how do I find a key that links the Boye shuttles with their application? I've searched NeedleBar, TreadleOn, and just in general with no success. I sure would love some suggestions!!

Last edited by jlhmnj; 08-08-2015 at 08:22 PM.