Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boye Treadle Needle Numbers, Help! >

Boye Treadle Needle Numbers, Help!

Boye Treadle Needle Numbers, Help!

Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 AM

There are numbers (2, 4, 5) stamped into the shanks of the needles fresh out of the tube. Sometimes they are all the same, other times, they are mixed. What do they mean?

Also, how do I find a key that links the Boye shuttles with their application? I've searched NeedleBar, TreadleOn, and just in general with no success. I sure would love some suggestions!!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 AM

Here's a chart that should help you - it's assembled by Kevin Pinkerton and stored on the ISMACS site:
http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...ce-charts.html
Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Here's a chart that should help you - it's assembled by Kevin Pinkerton and stored on the ISMACS site:
http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...ce-charts.html
wow, i never knew there were so many different needles!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:03 AM

Well, it was an amazing link but not what I was looking for specifically. I think it may be the size (thickness) of the needle for working with specific fabrics. I did find a link for Boye needles that discusses using a number 2 for lighter fabrics and a 5 for heavier. Does that sound right?

In the meanwhile I had a happy discovery! The #13 vs for my Alvah also fits into my VSIIB White! This White is so weird. It sews with the handwheel turning towards you and the shuttle that came with it was made for the White hollow bobbins, of which I have 1. It won't sew with that shuttle but when I started comparing it to the shuttles I already own imagine my surprise when the Alvah's look identical except for the point on the inside of the White shuttle.

On a whim, I took the shuttle out of Alvah, complete with threaded bobbin, and tried it on the White. Success!!! Perfectly even little stitches!! Happy day for me!! Hopefully this is an ok thing to do.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Banned

http://www.ismacs.net/boye/boye_need...play_case.html

this is the info from the boye 1906 display case. look up your machine, find the needle.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:11 PM

Old thread but interesting question. The 2,4,5 represent the needle size that is specific to the needle manufacturer. Best to disregard and measure across the blade with digital caliper and reference mm to needle size (ie 14/90 is close to .90mm)

If you enjoy doing things the hard way like myself you can gather several old charts that list the manufacturers like Singer, New Home, White, Davis, W&W, Eldredge National, and others and the needle schemes they used. For instance a Singer size 14 needle is marked 1/2, Davis 0, Eldredge 4, New Home 0, W&W 4, White 0. This doesn't always work out depending on when and where the needles were made so best to double check with calipers.

Kevin Pinkerton's site is awesome for Boye Reference:

https://sites.google.com/site/kevinsstuff1/sewing-stuff

Jon

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
There are numbers (2, 4, 5) stamped into the shanks of the needles fresh out of the tube. Sometimes they are all the same, other times, they are mixed. What do they mean?

Also, how do I find a key that links the Boye shuttles with their application? I've searched NeedleBar, TreadleOn, and just in general with no success. I sure would love some suggestions!!

Last edited by jlhmnj; 08-08-2015 at 08:22 PM.