Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Boye Needle Case

  1. #1
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    I have wanted one of these for years. Just happened to stumble upon this one and could not resist it. It does have needles and shuttles in cases; don't know how many
    Tommie
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    44,292
    Blog Entries
    45
    that looks wonderful!

  3. #3
    Super Member pab58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    near Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    5,868
    Blog Entries
    1
    WOW!!!!! :shock: Love it!!!! What a fortunate find!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

  4. #4
    Power Poster MamaBear61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Milverton, ON, Canada
    Posts
    13,231
    I have never seen anything like that before, very nice.

  5. #5
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear61
    I have never seen anything like that before, very nice.
    I have found several over the years, but in much worse condition than this one is.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kentucky Wildcat Country Go Big Blue
    Posts
    816
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have one of those too. Mine looks to be older than that. I know for a fact that it is over 60 years old. It also still has bobbin cases and needles. I haven't looked in it lately but I think there is a bobbin or 2 in it. My mom had an old singer machine that used that kind so I was holding on to them. She said I could have it but my sister took it to her house and she won't let me have it. She doesn't even sew. I could really use it but it's not worth hard feelings.

  7. #7
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy granny
    I have one of those too. Mine looks to be older than that. I know for a fact that it is over 60 years old. It also still has bobbin cases and needles. I haven't looked in it lately but I think there is a bobbin or 2 in it. My mom had an old singer machine that used that kind so I was holding on to them. She said I could have it but my sister took it to her house and she won't let me have it. She doesn't even sew. I could really use it but it's not worth hard feelings.
    The seller said she had had it for 40 years. Do you know how you date them?
    I know, my sis has our grandmother's Red Eye. I will get it if I outlive her, lol.

  8. #8
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Tommie, Congrats! That looks like it is in nice condition. It should look lovely in your sewing room with your vintage machines.

  9. #9
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Tommie, Congrats! That looks like it is in nice condition. It should look lovely in your sewing room with your vintage machines.
    Thanks. Can't wait to get it!!!!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kentucky Wildcat Country Go Big Blue
    Posts
    816
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy granny
    I have one of those too. Mine looks to be older than that. I know for a fact that it is over 60 years old. It also still has bobbin cases and needles. I haven't looked in it lately but I think there is a bobbin or 2 in it. My mom had an old singer machine that used that kind so I was holding on to them. She said I could have it but my sister took it to her house and she won't let me have it. She doesn't even sew. I could really use it but it's not worth hard feelings.
    The seller said she had had it for 40 years. Do you know how you date them?
    I know, my sis has our grandmother's Red Eye. I will get it if I outlive her, lol.
    The one I have was in a store when I worked there as a teenager. The store was bought and sold about 3 times and I went back to work there again after my kids got grown. Everything was still the same old general store. I loved it for that reason. They had a fire while I was there and lost most everything but that survived and the owner gave it to me.
    So I know how long it was there, just don't know how long before I ever saw it, but from what I remember, it didn't look new when I first saw it. It might be something to look into just for the heck of it. I wouldn't take anything for it.

  11. #11
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy granny
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy granny
    I have one of those too. Mine looks to be older than that. I know for a fact that it is over 60 years old. It also still has bobbin cases and needles. I haven't looked in it lately but I think there is a bobbin or 2 in it. My mom had an old singer machine that used that kind so I was holding on to them. She said I could have it but my sister took it to her house and she won't let me have it. She doesn't even sew. I could really use it but it's not worth hard feelings.
    The seller said she had had it for 40 years. Do you know how you date them?
    I know, my sis has our grandmother's Red Eye. I will get it if I outlive her, lol.
    The one I have was in a store when I worked there as a teenager. The store was bought and sold about 3 times and I went back to work there again after my kids got grown. Everything was still the same old general store. I loved it for that reason. They had a fire while I was there and lost most everything but that survived and the owner gave it to me.
    So I know how long it was there, just don't know how long before I ever saw it, but from what I remember, it didn't look new when I first saw it. It might be something to look into just for the heck of it. I wouldn't take anything for it.
    There is an article on ISMACS about them. They first came out in I think 1910. Haven't found any dating info. Perhaps there will be a date on it.

  12. #12
    Super Member oksewglad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Between the dashes of a tombstone
    Posts
    9,683
    Blog Entries
    1
    This brings back memories! In the 60's, Mom would run one of us into town to the hardware store. I remember dashing in and getting needles in small wood containers from "Hank". You had to know the machine make to get the right needle. Mom usually bought a size 14 for her Universal sewing machine. Thanks for sharing.

  13. #13
    okiepastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,500
    That is really neat! Have never seen one in such good shape.

  14. #14
    Dee
    Dee is offline
    Super Member Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    3,618
    How awesome of a find.

  15. #15
    Power Poster Mariposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    27,142
    Neat!!

  16. #16
    Super Member KatFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,082
    Blog Entries
    8
    Awesome find!

  17. #17
    Super Member wvdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A million dollar view!
    Posts
    8,889
    What a great find! I have not seen this specific one. I need to keep my eyes open for one.

    By the way, I love your iris avatar pic. Do you know the specific name of that iris? Would llike to add to the garden. I need to see if Schreibers(sp) has it in their catalog.

  18. #18
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    What a great find! I have not seen this specific one. I need to keep my eyes open for one.

    By the way, I love your iris avatar pic. Do you know the specific name of that iris? Would llike to add to the garden. I need to see if Schreibers(sp) has it in their catalog.
    These iris were already here. The neighbor told me the lady planted all hybrid ones.

  19. #19
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by KatFish
    Awesome find!
    Thanks. My concern is that she said she let UPS pack it. Ugh!! Just peanuts!!! We shall see; should get it Friday.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.