Thread: Who knew....
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 06:26 AM
Nanax4

Default Who knew....

that sewing straight lines was so hard! I'm new to quilting anything other than in the ditch. I had NO idea that quilting a straight line is nigh to impossible!

I was so excited to get my new sewing machine, a Babylock Crescendo. And even more excited to finally get a project to the "ready to be quilted" stage.

Being a newbie to this, I foolishly thought that I could follow the seams and quilt 1/4" from the seam lines. What a dumb idea!!! The lines were all wavy, but I didn't really realize that until I was all done.

I also didn't know to increase the tension slightly, nor did I realize that I needed to lengthen the stitch length slightly. Argghhhh!!

Ok. So now I know those things. I also got the courage to switch over to the Muvit foot, which helped tremendously. I didn't want to mark the quilt, so ended up finding some 1/4" quilter's tape that seems to be working well. I've also learned to pay very close attention to any drag possibilities. I didn't really notice that the first time around.

Off to sit on the deck and pick out the original quilting. There's something calming about it, actually.