Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who knew.... >

Who knew....

Who knew....

Old 08-13-2015, 09:59 AM

I cannot sew straight to save my life. Some days I find it very discouraging but I am also very inexperienced. So, I'm here to lend support and I have to say I LOVE these ideas! I cannot wait to incorporate them this weekend.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Nothing like experience for learning how to do - or not do - things.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:22 PM

Default Experience

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Nothing like experience for learning how to do - or not do - things.
I still can't get used to the idea that the majority of persons on this board are "machine" quilters. The only things I machine quilt are the Linus blankets I make. I realize that they will probably be washed to death. I am a died in the wood "hand quilter". It can be totally portable and something I can do while watching TV and sharing time with my family and even friends. I use everything from a lap hoop to a full size stand alone quilting frame. I recommend that everyone at least give it a try.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

We all started out as novices to quilting, and sometimes it's a learning process; however, to me that's the best part, learning a new skill and then improving on it. Congratulations on your new sewing machine and happy quilting.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by RosaSharon View Post
I have to remind myself not to watch the needle. That almost always gets me in trouble. You have to keep your eye on the edge of the presser foot, or the marking on the metal plate, or some other place, just not the needle.
I have to look a few inches in front of the needle to keep a straight line
Old 08-13-2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nanax4 View Post
bjgallent...I started out using the presser foot as a guide. Apparently that's not gonna work for me until I get some more experience under my belt. I also think that my seams were not as straight as I thought they were. They look fine, big picture. They look fine until you add the detail of stitching next to them. I guess I just wasn't being careful enough.

The Muvit foot doesn't have a bar, and I haven't looked at the walking foot. I don't remember even getting a walking foot with the machine. I think I only have the Muvit foot. I've been too chicken to try anything with moving the needle, but that sounds like a possible solution. I'll try that tonight.

I think I should take a beginner's class for quilting. I didn't think it was going to be all that hard! I have a whole new appreciation for those whole cloth quilts that I've seen!!

what is a Muvit foot?
Old 08-13-2015, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
I still can't get used to the idea that the majority of persons on this board are "machine" quilters. The only things I machine quilt are the Linus blankets I make. I realize that they will probably be washed to death. I am a died in the wood "hand quilter". It can be totally portable and something I can do while watching TV and sharing time with my family and even friends. I use everything from a lap hoop to a full size stand alone quilting frame. I recommend that everyone at least give it a try.
Being a robotics engineer, I can't imagine anyone spending time with a needle and thread. Machines do it so much faster and nicer. I spend my TV time working on my computer making up new quilting patterns for my QBot. I do own a needle... it's for burying threads after I cut them off from my quilting. BTW, I am just teasing... you quilt away ms. speedy2

tim in san jose
Old 08-14-2015, 06:05 AM

You should check out the Craftsy class by Jacquie Gering about quilting with a walking foot. It has many inspiring ideas. One of them is to use blue painter's tape as a guideline to sew next to.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:33 PM

.....and what is a Muvit foot?
Old 08-14-2015, 06:42 PM

It's a digitally controlled foot. It has a little rubber belt that helps move the top fabric smoothly.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...+foot+babylock